M&S Uniform Girls' Culottes stink - literally...

(13 Posts)
mowmylawn Mon 08-Aug-16 01:32:53

I'm new to the school uniform rodeo, DD starts reception next month and I ordered her the M&S culottes with 'triple-action stormwear'. When I opened the package it smelled very faintly of... cat wee. If you'v ever had a cat, you know how sometimes you walk into a room and you think, that cat has done a wee somewhere - that's what it smells like when you walk past these shorts. I've washed them a few times and it's starting to fade a bit but I don't want to send my daughter to school smelling like the vet's waiting room.

Is this anything to do with the coating they use on school uniforms? Has anyone else had this happen?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rattusn Mon 08-Aug-16 23:33:22

Leave to air out on the line for a couple of days, it will get rid of even the foulest smells.

Hockeydude Mon 08-Aug-16 23:38:37

I'd get her some other item to wear. I have M&S stormwear school uniform for my kids, have done for years and have not noticed this sort of smell. And I am quite fussy about things smelling.

mrz Tue 09-Aug-16 06:14:42

It's probably too late now you've washed them but if they are so bad I would take them back to a store.

AnnaMarlowe Tue 09-Aug-16 06:18:48

I've bought these M&S culottes for the last four years (as well as skirts, trousers and shirts with storm wear ) and never had a problem with a smell.

Allyoucaneat Tue 09-Aug-16 08:16:01

Bought DS asda school trousers. They have this odd smell too. Only realised it was the trousers yesterday when ironing all the school things. I've been pestering D's for two weeks asking if he's hid wet clothes from me blush.

Never had this with last year's m&s and tesco things.

RoganJosh Tue 09-Aug-16 08:17:41

I think if they still smell, even though you've washed them, then you absolutely could take them back.

SendARavenToRiverRun Tue 09-Aug-16 08:25:42

Newlook black jeans used to smell like this so it is a 'thing'. Maybe take them back into store with no expectation and good old M&s might surprise you.

mowmylawn Thu 01-Sep-16 19:19:31

Thanks all - I'll throw myself at the mercy of M&S Customer Services.

BagPusscatnip Fri 02-Sep-16 17:08:47

Yes I've had dark wash jeans that have smelt like this. I think it is the dye. Could you perhaps iron them with scented ironing water and then hang them out to air for a day?

pianoshark Fri 02-Sep-16 17:23:49

I have had this, M and S swapped them for a different style. I wonder if it is something to do with the dye or possibly the anti stain coating they put on these days.

Mikklehaha Fri 04-Nov-16 08:35:33

I am having exactly the same problem with some girls school trousers I bought a couple of weeks ago. I have washed them several times, soaked them in fabric conditioner, then I tried Napisan (as in the stuff you use to wash cloth nappies!) nothing works. The zip area stinks like cat wee. It's driving me crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now