Key Stage 2 Sats results and SEN

(6 Posts)
SatsQ Mon 18-Jul-16 14:14:04

I've named changed for this as if read by anyone who knows my daughter, she (and I) will be recognisable.

Daughter has come home with her Sats and I'm left wondering if I should have pushed harder for a EHCP.
She had 25% extra time and sat the exams on her own with 1:1 'observer'. She has epilepsy (absences) and medication is not yet totally successful, so school wanted the supporter to be able to get her back on track if she had an absence.

Scaled Scores:
Reading - 91
Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling - 106
Maths - 98

Teacher assessment suggests she is 'working towards expected level' in:
Reading
Writing
Maths
Science

She had lots of tonic clonic seizures when she was younger and we have always wondered how these might have affected her cognitive ability.

She has had quite a bit of intervention in school (at parental request) but there were some years that we were told this was not needed (Yr 4 was a disaster with a really disinterested teacher).

In Yr 2 she got 2b's across the board after some maths intervention.

DD works so hard, we've really praised her effort and refuse to make a big deal of these tests - our mantra has always been 'try your best'.

I guess my question is, if the school felt that to perform she needed 1:1 support and 25% extra time, why would they be less than supportive in trying to gain a EHCP?
I worry that in a busy secondary school, without some targeted support she will drown.

Any advice?

TeenAndTween Mon 18-Jul-16 20:20:53

I would have thought the observer was so that if she had an absence it wouldn't disturb the rest of the class?

Was the 25% extra to make up for absences or something else?

The maths is nearly 100 (closer than my DD got), and the SPAG was good; what do you think her reading is like?

I would ask to see the SENCO at the new school and go from there I think.

SisterViktorine Mon 18-Jul-16 20:34:34

I don't think those scaled scores are going to be low enough for them to assess for an EHCP on learning grounds. She may be assessed if there is significant difficulty in another area- does she need a great deal of in school care for the epilepsy e.g. does she need 1:1 to spot and support seizures on a daily basis?

The four areas of need are:
Cognition and Learning (she is not low enough for assessment here)
Communication and Interaction
Social, Emotional and Mental Health
Physical and Medical (you may have grounds here)

Does she take epilim? I have usually found that pupils on epilim have significant difficulty learning because the drug makes it so hard to focus, but, as my neurologist friend says, that is a lesser evil than daily seizures.

SilverGiraffe7 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:38:39

With those scores she would not get an EHCP on educational grounds. In my county, Year 6 children need to be working much, much lower than that to get an EHCP. Equal to bottom end of KS1 before they'll even begin to consider it on educational grounds alone. Unless you're going down the medical route in which case her scores are irrelevant. But I doubt you'd get one on medical grounds either tbh.

SatsQ Tue 19-Jul-16 08:45:47

Thank you for your replies.
Sorry, I'm on my phone, so can't see who asked what, but I'll try and remember questions.

DD's actual reading is good, but her short term memory is poor. On old fashioned reading tests she scores top marks. She takes the easy option when choosing books (think Dork Diary, David Walliams) as I think she struggles remembering and processing the plot of more complicated ones. Multi step processes are almost impossible for her. I thought this was just a problem in maths, but I think she struggles to break down the more complicated comprehension tasks too.

She takes Epilim; I know that this can have an effect on concentration - when we weaned her off of the meds a few years ago, I was hoping that it would really help her concentration, but didn't seem to be the magic bullet that school were hoping for.

She has only recently started back on meds as absences were rearing their head again.
Her EEG showed that she was having tons of micro seizures as well as the more obvious longer ones.
The micros last perhaps a second, even if you are looking directly at her they are easy to miss. The consequence however is that she appears to have lost concentration.

I take on board that she is perhaps not struggling enough to warrant an EHCP, but without support there is no way that she can reach her potential. The extra time and 1:1 was just in case she had an absence and to mitigate for concentration issues as far as I know (although it makes sense that they would also not want anything to disturb other children)

I'll make an appointment to see the SEN at her new school. They've met with her current class teacher and primary SEN already. Might have been helpful if they'd invited me to attend that meeting!

uglyflowers Tue 19-Jul-16 21:40:16

Epilepsy will affect her learning, especially if she is having lots of absences every day. Are the meds getting her absences totally under control now? My son looked and felt terrible every day on epilim. Otherwise, go for tutoring to help her catch up over areas she has missed out on in class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now