Year 2 SATs results

(14 Posts)
Annie1919 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:35:04

Anyone else really disappointed with Year 2 SATs results? At the end of Yr1 DD was working well above National Average getting 2bs across the board. Just got her results at the end of year 2. I was expecting some exceeding- we got none! Worse still, apparently she hasn't met the National Average for writing (in my opinion her strongest subject!). I knew the bar had been raised but I didn't expect her to go from well above average to below average in one year and apparently she's been giving 100% effort. I'm gutted- just didn't see it coming.

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 11-Jul-16 19:48:16

I'm disappointed too. But I was expecting to be as I knew the bar had been raised. Dd2 was meeting expectations in everything at the end of year 1 last year. Weve just got reports and she got working towards in reading, expected in writing, working towards in maths and expected in science. I presume this is an overall failure blush

jennielou75 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:51:10

Have a look here with the knowledge we have to have 3 pieces of seperate evidence of them using every part of every statement, naturally not obviosly taught.
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461547/Interim_teacher_assessment_frameworks_at_the_end_of_key_stage_1_PDFA.pdf

Naschkatze Mon 11-Jul-16 20:01:42

This will be the case for a significant proportion of my year 2 class and I can assure you that I and the children have worked exceptionally hard all year!

Writing is by far the hardest subject to meet 'expected' standard in, in my opinion. I understand some parents are going to be disappointed (we haven't sent our reports out yet) but my response will be to focus on the progress they have made (ie, compare their books) and the effort they have put in. Remember the results don't mean anything really for your DD.

MrsPigling Mon 11-Jul-16 20:06:44

dd3 got her sats results today. According to her school it's not possible to exceed the expected standard - you can be not at it or at it?! full report not due out for a couple of week yet.....

Annie1919 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:07:07

Thanks Jennielou, I guess it must just be a lack of evidence then. I'm certain DD can do everything at expected standard and probably exceeding level too. Soooo disappointed! Thanks for the info, though.x

jennielou75 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:20:17

Can she spell all the suffies accurately every time?

jennielou75 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:21:40

I would see exp is somewhat equal to the old 3b and gds would be 3a maybe even level 4c.

Annie1919 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:56:14

Lemondrizzle, It's rubbish isn't it! They are most definitely NOT failures! I can't believe how it has affected me and I'm desperately trying not to let DD see that I'm disappointed, when she has worked so hard. It's a sham! From what I can gather, The DFE hasn't even bothered to collect the Y2 SAT results to see how their 'so called national average standard' compares to the ACTUAL national average standard! I'm guessing they are WAY out! This Government seems intent on producing a generation of children who will grow up feeling like failures! IT MAKES ME SO CROSS!!! Sorry rant over!

Annie1919 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:11:13

JennieLou, Yes I'm pretty sure she would spell suffixes correctly, although she may forget to drop or add letters, in exceptions to the rules. Thanks, your comparisons of levels makes me feel a little better. Wow! the bar has been raised far higher than I realised. I guess I'd assumed she'd be a level 3 SATs child (pre AWL). Maybe she's not as far off as 'below national average' suggests.
Lemon drizzle the previous rant was aimed at the Govt, not at you- in case it reads like that!x

mrz Mon 11-Jul-16 21:19:27

The DfE haven't collected KS1 test for many years. The tests are marked by the class teacher as they have been for 25 years.

PlasticPinkFlamingo Mon 11-Jul-16 21:36:37

DC's school uses beginning, developing, secure and secure with greater depth as its markers, with the majority of students expected to be secure by year end.

If they've been marked as secure with greater depth in reading, writing, Spag and math, any idea what that means in practice? We didn't get given the Sats results. Or are all the assessment schemes too different?

We didn't go to parents evening as it was a drop in and you were encouraged to attend only if you needed to discuss something specific about the report.

The actual report captures her character well. Works very hard when it's something she's interested in. Rather less so when it's not. Suspect if my old reports were dug up they'd say the same thing.

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 11-Jul-16 22:07:47

Don't worry I know who it was aimed at smile
I'm trying not to seem disappointed. I know the standards are stupidly high.

ClarasZoo Tue 12-Jul-16 16:44:09

This year I am happy with Working Towards in all categories as I think that's "average" with the new higher thresholds...I am not a teacher though - but the school warned us that not all children would meet the expected standard as they have to do ALL of the tick box things. To my mind, Einstein would get "working towards" if he didn't add enough rainbow words to his theory of relativity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now