Teacher gifts

(29 Posts)
MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 05-Jul-16 21:13:18

I know this gets done to death in chat and AIBU but the dcs like to give gifts to their teachers at the end of the year. In addition I like to give them gifts for putting up with them for so many months (ds1's teacher especially must have the patience of a Saint judging by how much he drives me bonkers). I also plan to give something to the ladies in the office and at the after school club, but I am struggling with one teacher.

I think she may have some allergies so want to avoid food, alcohol and flowers, and because of that I'm stumped blush. I've asked ds2 if there is something in class that she uses that she really likes, but he looked blank and said "erm, maybe a nice shiny pen?" which I suspect is borne out of her using a pen in class hmm

After that long ramble, does anyone have any ideas?

Spottytop1 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:20:32

A pretty notebook, shaped post its, nice stationary sets ( all very useful) a nice pen holder or similar... I love practical/useful gifts

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 06-Jul-16 07:22:20

Thank you smile I will take a look about and see what I can find.

Galena Wed 06-Jul-16 07:29:54

I tend to do a combination of useful and handmade gifts... so we've done mugs with a selection of hot chocolates and teas and a wooden coaster DD decorated. We've done notebooks and keyrings covered in paper DD marbled. We've done post-it notes set with a pen and chocolates DD helped make. We've done glass Kilner jars decorated by DD with glass pens and filled with peppermint creams she helped make...

This year we bought an embroidery sewing machine so she is choosing each adult a design which we will embroider and sew onto a plain calico bag as a pocket, and then she is decorating plain pencil cases with fabric pens to put inside.

attheendoftheday Wed 06-Jul-16 21:11:36

Nice notebook is good for most people.

freetrampolineforall Wed 06-Jul-16 21:15:53

Coaster you can put your own (child's own grin) picture and or thank you message in.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 06-Jul-16 21:20:17

A coaster with ds2's picture in it might be weird grin

When people say nice notebook, I just need to clarify that - when I get what I think of as a nice notebook it is usually an Oxford one because the paper is so nice, or am I way off the mark? I really like the idea of a selection of stationery I may be channelling my inner 12 year old

Ginmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:49:45

I am not a teacher, but if I were in a position to receive up to 30 gifts at the end of each year, I'd prefer things that don't clutter my house too much! For example, a single hand decorated mug per year would cause a problem in my cupboard in just a few years, and imagine receiving 30 per year...

Edible things would be nice, but not too many wonky homemade items with short shelf lives... Posh chocolates/biscuits or a bottle of wine might go down better.

DD is giving vouchers to her teachers. Safer, if unexciting!

Plus a homemade card, and a letter from us to the teacher as well if deserved, which the teacher could use as evidence at their appraisal.

(all of this probably says more about me than about what a teacher would like)

Snazarooney Wed 06-Jul-16 21:52:17

Vouchers are great!

Sprintingforthefinnish Wed 06-Jul-16 22:19:42

Head to paperchase! All teachers like paperchase!

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Thu 07-Jul-16 16:37:41

Everyone likes paperchase grin

Eva50 Thu 07-Jul-16 17:55:03

We've done vouchers for the last few years. I did get the music teachers lovely personalised note books and pens at Christmas but would feel uncomfortable giving class teachers things printed with their forenames even though I am old enough to be ds3's teachers Mum.

Ericaequites Fri 08-Jul-16 02:33:10

Teachers really like a nice card or letter mentioning nice things they hard done for your child. A voucher for a local stationary or book store also come in handy for refurbishing classroom supplies.

Ditsy4 Fri 08-Jul-16 06:07:58

Please don't buy mugs! I have so many mugs.

What about a bag from the Good Bag Company OP? They are just the right size to take files. They last really well too and now you can customise them. Pens are useful. I have a very pretty one. Otherwise a voucher for a book. We love to read in the hols as most of the reading staff do in term time is educational!

Ditsy4 Fri 08-Jul-16 06:09:38

Galena
I wish I was teaching your child. Lovely ideas. I love the homemade presents.

Blueberry234 Fri 08-Jul-16 06:35:58

Both TA and teacher are getting a homemade card plus a costa coffee gift card in it. Plus I have contributed to the joint class gift of JL vouchers

MrsGsnow18 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:26:28

Think the costa coffee card is a great idea!

Willow33 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:28:58

Vouchers are the best.

Becles Sun 10-Jul-16 23:36:50

Stationery. They spend so much out.of their own pocket over the year that some stuff for next year should go down a treat. Not thrilling but well received.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 11-Jul-16 13:30:12

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'm going to go for stationery. A nice notebook and a few other bits smile

SpikeWithoutASoul Mon 11-Jul-16 13:42:09

Sorry to disagree, but would you buy someone who worked in an office stationery to use at work?

I often see it suggested on MN that teachers would like pritt sticks or whiteboard markers as they're always short of them at work. Personally, I think it's nice to get a gift that's for them, rather than to top up the supplies at their place of work. If you want to go down the stationary route, then an address book or photo album is a more personal gift.

Costa vouchers, book token, flowers, candle, wine or -even better- a thoughtful card are also great.

Ginmummy1 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:57:59

I broadly agree with you, Spike. Maybe a compromise is WHSmith vouchers – the teacher could choose whether to buy something for his/herself, or for the classroom.

The gift does have to be something the giver is happy to give, of course.

ROSY2016 Mon 11-Jul-16 15:01:16

I agree with spike. Even though they spending their own money, its so boring to give the school stationery. In my opinion give should be personalised or something like give cards are most appreciate by teachers

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 11-Jul-16 17:25:32

I said at the start that I want to avoid food, wine and flowers due to suspected allergies. I'd add candles to that too as I know she has asthma.

I don't know what to do now tbh. We live rurally and not in an area with chain coffee shops unless you go to particular towns, and I have no idea where she prefers to go.which would affect which chain I bought a voucher for. I also dislike vouchers generally. I was thinking nice stationery to use at home/for personal use rather than office supplies.

BeaLola Wed 13-Jul-16 00:01:13

Last year I bought DS teacher a scarf from Joules (was in the sale - not being cheap but happened to see it and loved it and full price was much more than I could afford to spend) - it was a floaty scarf not a thick woollen one and she has worn it lots).

For previous more middle aged teacher who I know loves gardening etc I bought a rose bush & for that years TA we bought a white hydrangea which we wrapped up prettily.

For a TA I bought a 6 month subscription to RED magazine which was on offer and cost me £9.99. She seemed genuinely pleased. For after school club ladies bought sparkly nail varnish from next.

This year my son is making his gift - labour of love it is ! and I am thinking of buying her a pretty book size cloth pretty bag or a smart pencil case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now