Starting reception in a new school

(13 Posts)
Mollmoo Tue 05-Jul-16 13:21:08

Hi,
My dd is due to start reception in September. She has been attending nursery for 18months but didn't get a place in reception. She has been allocated a place in another school, I'm just not sure what I think.
At the moment she is learning Read Write Inc but will be changing to Jolly Phonics, also she has been learning printing but the new school teaches cursive writing. Further to this I'm really worried about taking her away from her friends.
Does anyone have any experience in this or any views on read write inc vs jolly phonics and printing vs cursive.

Tia X

bojorojo Tue 05-Jul-16 13:30:55

Few children make lasting friends at nursery so a whole new world will open up to her. Mums do, of course make friends, and it is often these that direct children's friendships.

Also, although I am not an expert, she can happily learn to write in the way the school want. Printing is not an option anyway as they get older. No idea about the phonics systems but surely many start phonics in Reception anyway so I cannot see what the problem is? The sound the letters and blends of letters make is the same whatever system you use and she will be fine. She is young and learning will be fun.

Hersetta427 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:40:14

I really wouldn't worry. Freindships are very fluid and lots of other children will be in the same position (20 of our reception starteds din't attend the school nursery). She will be fine...and will pick up whatever method the school teaches. She will be fine. Don't overthink it.

noramum Tue 05-Jul-16 15:40:15

DD started an Infant school without any of her nursery friends. She moved from printed to cursive straight as well. While it was a mess in the beginning they will all move to cursive sooner than later. Our neighbour's DD learned cursive at Y2 after two years of printed handwriting and it was a struggle to get the girl to practice.

She made new friends and friendship moves a lot in the first years. She is now in Y4 and it settled down to a handful of friends.

She still is friends with some of her nursery pals. But - only because we as parents decided to stick together and keep the contact. They see each other regularly as they have a joined hobby, we have the girls over for playdates, sleepovers, outings. They come to her 9th birthday party on Saturday and were the first on DD's guest list.

Mollmoo Tue 05-Jul-16 20:40:59

Thank you for your responses. I agree I am probably overthinking it, especially at this age! I must sound like really pushy parent or something! 😉
With the phonic systems it's just that they use they use different rhymes for the sounds, and as she knows all her sounds I'm worried she'll get confused and regress. Also I've heard really good things about The rwi system.
I just want the best for her, and to give her the best opportunities, as we all do for our little ones. 😊

poocatcherchampion Tue 05-Jul-16 20:43:11

We chose a nursery for our dd as we liked it. We were never going to send her to the school in that village.

I have barely given it 2 thoughts except not going out of my way to send her to bday parties of children there

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Tue 05-Jul-16 21:51:49

poocatcherchampion hope you aren't talking about my village nursery! wink

We have a little girl who is doing EXACTLY that.

poocatcherchampion Fri 08-Jul-16 11:01:07

Does the little girl have a sister there?

Mollmoo Sat 09-Jul-16 07:30:34

No she doesn't.

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 09-Jul-16 07:36:50

If she knows her sounds, she won't be confused by the rhymes. Many children start school knowing no phonics (which is absolutely fine).

nothappymummy2014 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:28:07

My daughter went to a private nursery in a different area so started school knowing no one, she had had no friendship issues at all and settled very quickly.

I can't help with printing vs cursive as it took her until the end of Reception to be able to write her name (she has developmental delay).

mrz Sat 09-Jul-16 15:03:05

I prefer Jolly Phonics to RWI (works well in reception ) and teaching single letter formation with exit stroke before introducing fully joined in KS1.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 09-Jul-16 15:07:18

I think both of those schemes, like most really, depend much more on the teachers involved than the content itself.

Well taught RWI is probably preferably to badly taught JP and vice versa. I don't think I'd worry too much about her regressing is she already knows the sounds. I don't think that's likely to happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now