Reception yr - books?

(10 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Tue 28-Jun-16 15:14:04

DD1 is starting reception in September.
The school have given us loads of forms (as expected) but no book list. I wasn't sure if that was the norm or if they'll be expecting us to buy books throughout the year?

Or do they supply them?

As you can tell, she's my eldest so I haven't had to think about this beforehand!

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 28-Jun-16 15:23:13

What sort of books did you have in mind that you might need to be buying?

You read them lots and lots of stories, anything that interests them, and read and discuss lots and lots of other stuff, sing songs, chat about the world all sorts.

As part of the school work, they'll have a few extremely boring and quick to read school phonics books. If you already read lots together, and your child picks up phonics relatively easily - like most well taught - then you'll just whistle through them and get back to more interesting stuff.

twinkltwinkl Tue 28-Jun-16 15:25:34

No, you won't be expected to buy books throughout the year (unless perhaps at a private school).

All reading books will be provided by the school and you will be so bored by them you will joyfully return them at the first opportunity.

Letmesleepalready Tue 28-Jun-16 15:36:08

Haha, ok thanks!
I was wondering if we had to get the school phonics books, but from what you are saying we'd be better off getting more interesting ones. We do read to the kids every night (or try to) but none of the picture books we have seem to be that easy for a new reader if you know what I mean.

twinkltwinkl Tue 28-Jun-16 15:46:33

I wouldn't worry too much about buying lots of new books. You would be surprised how quickly phonics teaching exposes children to 'tricky' sounds, and besides, any reading helps! You don't want to force it either, you're playing a longer game really.

If you really wanted to buy books, Julia Donaldson's Songbirds are excellent and you can pick up the whole collection very cheaply on The Book People.

Letmesleepalready Tue 28-Jun-16 16:02:29

twinkltwinkl thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look for them!

irvineoneohone Tue 28-Jun-16 16:32:31

And take them to library. Maybe do summer reading challenge. They can "read" any books.

irvineoneohone Tue 28-Jun-16 16:33:11

Take them to library and do the summer reading challenge?

Letmesleepalready Tue 28-Jun-16 16:44:36

irveoneohone that's a great idea, thanks!

irvineoneohone Tue 28-Jun-16 17:26:47

Sorry for double post! MN is playing up all the time these days on my PC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now