Headteacher leaving

(8 Posts)
Fortybingowings Mon 27-Jun-16 21:19:52

Help. My DH has heard today that the headmaster of the school where we are planning to send our little one has resigned and will leave in next couple of months. This is confidential at this stage but the source is definite. The head is a really nice man, great teacher and leader and has been the head of this school for around 8-9 years. He is going to another school in a different part of our city. He had shown me around the school a few months ago and I was reassured by him.
To give a bit of background the current school is practically on our doorstep and always undersubscribed but rated as good (not excellent) other nearby schools are probably out of catchment and we'd be chancing it with an application to those ones. I think one of the reasons for the under subscription is because the school is right by a big council estate. The overall catchment is quite mixed though.
After my visit and tour from the head (the one who is leaving), I was quite reassured by my decision, but now I'm doubting everything. In effect, with the current one leaving, there may well be no head in place by the time we have to start applying for places in Oct 16 (for Sept 17 reception entry)
My husband cannot see why this info has made me upset and won't discuss it. He has a 'que sera' attitude to schooling and won't consider private schools for this reason, nor will he consider moving.
Sorry for the ramble but I feel like we're now taking a huge gamble on a primary school that's about to lose a great headmaster!
Would you look elsewhere? I don't know any current parents there to talk to.

merlottime Mon 27-Jun-16 21:35:34

Teachers and Headteachers change jobs. It will happen a lot over the school career of your DC. It never pays to bank solely on an individual staying. The new Head may be excellent - possibly even better than the current one. They will be in place for or by Sept 17. It will be a leap into the unknown but if your other local options are long shots, you may not get much choice in the matter. The new Head will want to make the school even more successful, and may bring lots of good ideas with them. It's certainly not a reason to avoid it.

jamdonut Mon 27-Jun-16 21:38:45

What if the head had left after your child started at the school? Would you still want to change schools? These things happen...I'm with your husband's attitude on this.
It's unfortunate, but really not worth stressing over. Maybe, the school's new head will be even better.

Redlocks28 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:42:04

Heads and teachers leave all the time-your child won't even start school for another 14 months!! You're hardly taking a huge gamble if that's the only school you have a good chance of getting into anyway.

steppemum Mon 27-Jun-16 21:43:16

a good head at primary will probably stay in one job for 5 years, so your ds will experience at least one change during his schooling.

The new head may be better! Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, it can give a school a wonderful boost to get a new head in.

PatriciaHolm Mon 27-Jun-16 21:50:46

As others have said, this is a normal part of life. Heads move, teachers move. Even in private schools! I really wouldn't be so panicked.

Fortybingowings Mon 27-Jun-16 22:37:08

Thank you for your reassuring messages, I'll try and calm down about it and see how it pans out.

Hockeydude Mon 27-Jun-16 22:47:28

Some even say that a head teacher in a job too long starts resting on their laurels and doesn't do anything fresh after a while. I've seen this happen and the head went from being worshipped to people (internal and external) wanting their head on a stick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now