Holiday reading

(22 Posts)
Coldcomfortjoe Tue 21-Jun-16 15:18:44

I'm planning to keep up with regular reading with my DS over the holidays. He is just leaving year 1 and reading fairly well. The books we read together Dahl, Walliams etc are a bit beyond him to read himself but the story books he has that he can manage are a bit young content wise. Can any one recommend some books that are pitched for young readers to read themselves that aren't part of school reading schemes? Have picked up a few ORT titles second hand but would like to stay away from anything too 'schooly' if poss. Thanks!

Muddlingalongalone Tue 21-Jun-16 15:47:17

Following - I have the vague notion of getting 2 new sets of books for the holidays. 1 x for me to read to her - Roald Dahl or something & 1 x for her to read to me.
Can't really offer suggestions as dd is in reception so not sure of yr1 standard, but are the m&s early readers any good for him? I got rainbow fairies at Christmas but the were still a bit long/hard for her at Easter.

scrappydappydoo Tue 21-Jun-16 15:50:41

The library does a summer reading scheme - mine tends group 'early readers' on the same shelf together - could you try that?

tillyann2013 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:51:55

Our ds is year one too and really enjoys the captain underpants books

EarthboundMisfit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:52:04

My DSs llikr:

The Wigglesbottom Primary series.
The Sparky at Magic School series
Dirty Bertie
The Magic Treehouse books

EarthboundMisfit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:52:29

Like!

EarthboundMisfit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:53:15

One of them also likes the Worst Witch books, the other insists they are only for girls.

wonkylegs Tue 21-Jun-16 15:56:29

Definitely check out the library, they often have a summer reading challenge which kids love too.
Horrid Henry, astrosaurs (I hate them but DS liked them)

wonkylegs Tue 21-Jun-16 15:56:55

Winnie the witch

sunnydayinmay Tue 21-Jun-16 16:00:26

The Library Summer Reading challenge will be perfect for you (6 books over the holidays, and they get stickers and a medal at the end). They have a website, with a section where you can put in details of books you enjoy, and it recommends others.

catkind Tue 21-Jun-16 17:01:29

Check the book people. Not clear from your post what sort of level you want, but e.g. my two loved the project X alien adventures set that goes from ort 7-11, getting them the next set for summer reading this year even though they don't really need levels any more. They look a bit reading book-ish but as long as your school don't have them they'd be fine. DS found Dinosaur Cove engaging and fairly easy to read. From the library look out for Claude, Winnie the Witch chapter books, the simpler Jeremy Strong for example.

Coldcomfortjoe Tue 21-Jun-16 17:11:41

The Library Reading Challenge is a great idea, didn't even think of that. Level wise he is comfortably on orange at the moment and could probably do with a bit more of a challenge, not sure what that is for ORT, as our school mixes them all up. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Believeitornot Tue 21-Jun-16 17:13:11

Another book people recommend here. We select the non fiction ones so ds can read them without worrying about a clash with school books.

Sirzy Tue 21-Jun-16 17:13:13

Ds is same age and loves reading mr men books to himself

OSETmum Tue 21-Jun-16 17:15:34

The book people do a set of 'Early Readers' including some Horrid Henry stories. They're the same level as the original but with pictures and one story spread out over a whole book.

For more of a challenge, DS enjoyed the Beast Quest series last summer before year 2.

catkind Tue 21-Jun-16 17:19:37

Okay, I might have been a bit over there - I read "a bit beyond" as being he was nearly able to cope with those books. For orange or just beyond, that was when they really started reading their own normal picture books. So stuff like Elmer, the Winnie the Witch picture books, Dr Seuss. We didn't have to get anything special at that stage really, they just read the picture books we had been reading them. Our library has lots of approachable books in the easy reader section too, DD's favourite were Zak Zoo books from Cbeebies.

EarthboundMisfit Tue 21-Jun-16 19:12:19

With orange I'd be really tempted to try some of the early readers from then library.

UnlikelyRunner Tue 21-Jun-16 19:18:09

We used Reading Chest at that age. It is scheme based but you can exclude the ones you don't want (biff and chip?) and my DS was motivated to read a lot b through this. We had bronze membership just for 2 months and he read loads. (I was working full time and he was at playscheme so we had no fine to go to the library, it was easier to subscribe too this and have the books arrive through the letterbox.)

UnlikelyRunner Tue 21-Jun-16 19:18:36

No time to go to the library, not fine!

imsorryiasked Tue 21-Jun-16 19:41:17

I second Winnie the Witch (chapter books rather than the picture books).You can also get way reading versions of the secret seven.
I tend to raid the charity shops.

Coldcomfortjoe Wed 22-Jun-16 09:25:05

Thanks all - some great ideas, will check all of those out.

Ferguson Sat 25-Jun-16 19:17:43

As a retired TA, you might find some of my ideas helpful:

When reading harder books with a child, get him to point to words as he goes along. If he knows the word, or can sound it out, he can say it. If he doesn't know the word, he can hover his finger over it, and YOU say the word for him. Don't stop to analyse or discuss the word at this stage, but try and keep the 'flow' of reading going. Review difficulties at the end, if you wish to. This way, he has the satisfaction of reading more difficult books, without the fear of getting 'stuck' on words.

For slightly older children I sometimes recommend what I call "Value Added" books, that is they have an aspect in addition to just reading a story.

The best one is Arthur Ransome's "Coot Club" set on the Norfolk Broads in 1930. All the places in the book are actual locations, and can be found on the Ordnance Survey 2-1/2inch map of the Broads. All the villages, rivers, lakes, pubs and windmill pumping stations can be seen on the map. Apart from some railways being closed, and there now being more main roads, little has changed. It also gives interesting insights to the social history of the '30s: the children want to contact friends in a nearby village, and say if they post a letter in the morning, it will get there by the second post in the afternoon! When they buy provisions at a riverside shop, the shop-boy carries the goods down to their boat for them.

Another book in a 'real' place, is "Watership Down". The rabbits' home threatened by development is actually on the outskirts of Newbury, in Berkshire. There are several web sites about the locations, and even guided tours sometimes to places featured in the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now