Could a primary teacher help me please...

(22 Posts)
EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 10:29:26

I have heard that a child can't meet expected standard for Y1 writing if they sometimes reverse a letter...is this true? Thanks.

spanieleyes Sun 19-Jun-16 10:39:10

Technically, they can't even meet "working towards" if they reverse letters!
To be assessed as working towards, a child must meet ALL of the following criteria:

The pupil can write sentences that are sequenced to form a short narrative, after discussion with the teacher:
• demarcating some sentences with capital letters and full stops
• segmenting spoken words into phonemes and representing these by graphemes, spelling some correctly
• spelling some common exception words *
forming lower-case letters in the correct direction, starting and finishing in the right place
• forming lower-case letters of the correct size relative to one another in some of the writing
• using spacing between words.

so if lower-case letters are not formed in the correct direction, starting and finishing in the right place, then they should be assessed as pre-key stage.

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 10:42:51

There aren't any national standards but the National Curriculum says "begin to"

Feenie Sun 19-Jun-16 10:45:38

In Y1, Spanieleyes? Depends on school policy. We use the NAHT KPIs and a best fit approach - if a child met the other criteria, we would award 'expected'.

spanieleyes Sun 19-Jun-16 10:48:40

Sorry, I have year 2 on the brain!!

Singlemum1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:48:57

mrz are you a Year 1 teacher, I have a question that I don't want to approach DS teacher about if it's irrelevant!

Feenie Sun 19-Jun-16 11:03:00

Thought so grin You could still award 'expected' in Y2 though ((but not greater depth).

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 12:06:20

Hmm. Reading that I think one of mine will probably get expected and one will not. That's pretty much the best I am hoping for! Thank you.

BertrandRussell Sun 19-Jun-16 12:11:55

My ds who is now in year 10 and predicted excellent GCSEs would probably not have done all of those things all the time until year 7/8. He was certainly still using the occasional random capital letter then.........

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 12:25:38

My older two were later developers with fine motor control and one is left handed. I think I just need to recognise that, whatever their reports say, I am thrilled with the progress they have made this year and so are their teachers.

They're quite ahead on reading and numeracy so hopefully those will be OK.

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 13:10:09

There isn't a national expectation for Y1 Earth you need to check your child's school.

Yes singlemum I teach Y1?

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 13:14:23

Oh I see, thanks. I thought it would say emerging etc on the report.

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 13:34:08

Schools are free to use their own assessment methods and criteria ....there are only national end of key stage expectations.

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 13:43:01

Thanks very much mrz. I think I'd be able to understand the old levels more easily!

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 14:05:31

Would it shock you to learn that when levels were introduced they were only intended for the end of each key stage not for each year group?
Look at how that worked out! wink

LavenderSugar Sun 19-Jun-16 14:13:27

I teach Year 1. Teacher judgment comes into it too.

If I have a higher ability child who can do everything at age expected but will very occasionally swap d or b, I will still give them 'working at or above' depending on ability. My school has no problem with this.

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 14:44:57

I did not know that mrz!

I'm not sure how my DC who reverses letters will do. The content of his writing is great. He can spell really well and I haven't seen him punctuate incorrectly in months. His writing is messyish and he gets his j the wrong way round fairly regularly.

At the end of the day, he's made massive progress this year so I should just focus on that!

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 15:06:27

It doesn't matter in Y1 if the child sometimes reverses letters the curriculum says begin to not is consistent

Singlemum1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 15:37:55

mrz can I send you a private message rather than a group discussion? If so, how do I do this grin

EarthboundMisfit Sun 19-Jun-16 15:54:25

Thanks again mrz and everyone else, this board is full of very helpful people.

mrz Sun 19-Jun-16 18:02:00

I'll help if I can
Above thus post to the right of my name it says "message poster"

Singlemum1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 18:09:26

Thanks mrz, just sent it over now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now