maths stuff / new school etc

(6 Posts)
layla2016 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:29:58

This might be a bit long winded and I'm not really sure what I'm asking....

Ds is in reception at a prep school but moving to a good state for September. Main reason is prep is tiny and not financially secure and ds struggles socially a bit, needs more exposure to different people to try and find his 'fit' I think. New school much bigger and diverse. Academically he is flying, he'll do well at whatever school he goes to and we don't push him really, just let him be who he wants to be.

My thing is his maths. He's good. His current school gave him the kS1 maths paper to do to see his levels to pass over info to new school. He did the whole paper himself and got 100% so they are doing an extension paper next week. I get the impression this shocked them as much as me!

We do lots of clubs (swim, football, dancing) in a bid to help him socially (he's not dreadful socially but has been burnt by moving a lot, only child etc, needs a bit of support with developing friendships) but he actually isn't terribly good at athletic things or really enjoys it that much. He often gets a bit frustrated or upset because he struggles to kick / catch / stroke etc and I can see it's affecting his confidence.

Does a maths club actually exist?? I would love to send him to an out of school club at something he's really good at for his confidence and meet like minded people but I don't think it exists. I'm frustrated for him that sporty children get praised and rewarded (deservingly) and have lots of social opportunities to be good at their 'thing' but there's nothing for academic children with a strength.

His current school praise his maths skills but also play it down as not to unmotivate the others but the sporting achievements are shouted from the rooftops and are splattered all over the weekly newsletter.

As I said, not sure what I'm asking but just feeling a bit hmm

ilovegreen Sat 18-Jun-16 14:35:07

Do you think he'd like chess? Our (state) school has a lunch time club for infants and an after school club for juniors. No Maths club tho, but there has been a coding club on and off.

layla2016 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:53:53

He does like chess actually. Not sure he fully gets all the rules but def likes the concept. That's one to look out for thanks!

irvineoneohone Sat 18-Jun-16 17:12:32

My ds's school had maths club for juniors when ds was in reception and yr1,
but discontinued due to unpopularity(?) by my ds was yr2. He was very disappointed. Code club as well, it was very popular, and also for juniors. It's gone as well, by the time my ds became yr3, due to teacher leaving.
If you are lucky, they might have both maths and code club at new school.
If your ds is interested in coding, there's great online course as well, and it involve lots of maths.

sneepy Sat 18-Jun-16 19:36:16

Our primary has a computer club which is mainly for maths nerds (DD1 is one of the club leaders so no disrespect to nerds here!) but it is for yr 5&6. Chess would be good but also drama, forest school or Cubs maybe? It might be fun for him to do something he doesn't do in school at all.

PansyGiraffe Sat 18-Jun-16 22:00:52

Or Lego club if they have that? DS (yr 2) has loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now