Is no feedback good feedback??

(5 Posts)
Muddlingalongalone Thu 16-Jun-16 23:28:11

Just wondering how much you know about how well or not your dc are doing at school?
I've just realised that I have no idea.
Last parents evening was just after Feb half term & apart from a note saying the group were moving up a book band a month ago I know nothing. We used to get the odd comment after guided reading but not even that now.
Reports come out early July & there's an evening for any questions after that but it doesn't seem very much? Or am I being pfb & used to nursery where they tell you everything??
I can see improvement in her reading & writing at home & they seem to do lots of great activities but no idea if she's actually at her expected level, making enough progress etc
I don't see teacher very much because dd goes to breakfast & asc & don't want to make work for her as she seems to be a great teacher.
So is no feedback good feedback?? Dd is in reception if that makes a difference

smellyboot Fri 17-Jun-16 07:22:30

Ours is very much like that. We will get an end of year report and a chance to ask any questions. We have two parents eve in a year with a ten min slot. We do get some info each term about what they are doing but not much. They let you know however if there are any concerns. I think that's pretty normal. Mine are in BC/Asc a lot too. Friends whose DC are picked up and dropped off however just leave them at the door with the TAs aperçu so say they don't get any more info than me

EarthboundMisfit Fri 17-Jun-16 08:03:45

Same here. Parent's evenings have been fine but we have no idea if they're meeting expected standards or not really. I'd love to know more.

Ginmummy1 Fri 17-Jun-16 09:03:58

I have read occasionally on these boards of parents who were not informed throughout the year that their children were ‘behind’, and then just found out in the end-of-year report, having had positive interim reports and parents’ meetings earlier in the year. I’m not sure to what extent this is a recent thing and really only affects the older children since the curriculum has been made harder, but I echo your concerns!

We’re certainly used to much more feedback from nursery, so it is hard just trusting that everything is ok.

How was her February report? In DD’s school they listed the 17 early learning goals with a level (emerging/developing/secure) against each one, so if anything that we’d consider important was still listed as ‘emerging’ in February, that would have rung alarm bells with us and we’d have requested a meeting to clarify what is lacking.

In DD’s school the best time to catch the teacher is immediately after school, but as you’re not routinely there at the end of the school day I think it’s not at all unreasonable to request an appointment for a short chat with the teacher – even if it is on the phone. Is emailing the teacher perhaps an option? It is part of a teacher’s job, and it doesn’t sound like you’ve been demanding during the year.

Do you know when in July you’ll receive the report?

You’ve got me worrying a bit too now!

EarthboundMisfit Fri 17-Jun-16 09:34:32

I wasn't really worried, but I've heard since that large numbers of children in primary aren't meeting 'expected' under the new system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now