Y5/6 residential trip

(20 Posts)
user1463172942 Tue 31-May-16 15:11:38

Dc's school does the usual outdoor activity type trip for the year 5 and 6s.

Money is tight so I'm saving now for ds' trip next summer.

What 'kit' do they usually need and how much did you spend? (If you don't mind me asking!)

They go for 3 nights/ 4 days. It's in rural Wales.

Thanks smile

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 31-May-16 15:45:18

We used old clothes that we already had, waterproof coat we already had, trainers (old pair for water activities).
The only 'new' thing I needed was named black bin liner (I don't use them) for all the wet muddy clothes that came home.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 31-May-16 15:46:45

Honestly they don't need anything fancy. They will need waterproof jacket / anorak, waterproof trousers if you have them (but weren't obligatory) perhaps walking boots or sturdy trainers, spare pair of shoes, cap & suncream / hat & gloves depending on when he's going, swimming trunks, then just normal clothes (if he is anything like my DS, he only wore the top layer of clothes - the case came back as packed by me!!). You'll need a suitcase or holdall, then backpack usually, maybe a torch, usual toiletries, named towel. Usually need a disposable camera too. Snacks for midnight feasts smile. Some they had to take their own pillow case, most provide bedding etc. Our school trips only allow a set amount of spending money which you give to the teachers before hand (a couple of pounds per day) so that everyone has the same.

So spending wise, depends whether you have any / all of those things.

fatowl Tue 31-May-16 15:48:24

I'm a Brownie leader and a teacher - but my trip experience is primarily for Brownies.

That said, I would say he will need old sensible outdoor stuff. Some old t-shirts, cotton shorts/trousers, not denim. Two pairs of trainers (as one will get wet), he will need a rucksack or holdall, sunhat and waterproof.
Maybe a sleeping bag (but some places provide bedding

Do NOT stress about buy new top of the range stuff.
I'd start looking on ebay or even carboots- you might pick up some great bargains.

CMOTDibbler Tue 31-May-16 15:49:43

Ours just ask for old clothing, waterproof jacket and swim kit. Only thing on our list you might not have is sleeping bag and mat, but ask around to borrow one rather than buying.

user1463172942 Tue 31-May-16 16:14:33

Thanks for the replies. Will start looking out for waking boots and a decent jacket on eBay.

noramum Tue 31-May-16 16:29:27

Check outdoor shops like Millets or Trespass. They often do sales for very good brands. DD does a trip in Y5, this September, and I got her 4 fleece tops, a pair of trousers and a waterproof coat for £30.

A friend who had her DS through several trips in primary/secondary/scounts swears of Primark.

Walking boots - you need to get into a shop and try them on. We just bought DD a pair, tried on several from several brands and they all fitted differently. Alternatively try a local second hand facebook group etc.

With only one child there is no such thing as old clothes as she will outgrow last autumn's/spring wardrobe by the time she is scheduled to go.

dementedpixie Tue 31-May-16 16:42:00

Depends on the residential place as Dd didn't need to take boots and waterproofs as they were supplied. She took tops/leggings/joggies/fleece jacket/trainers, etc though. We got cheap and cheerful stuff from sports direct. She also didn't need a sleeping bag as duvets/pillows, etc were provided. We had to send the duvet cover and pillow case instead

Arkwright Tue 31-May-16 16:45:33

Our school take them in Y5 and Y6. The places provide boots, waterproofs and a rucksack. I got them cheap jogging bottoms and fleeces from Sports Direct. They took t-shirts they already had.

oompaloompaland Tue 31-May-16 17:44:50

Primark for sweatshirts, joggers etc. Only thing we forked out for was a new pair of walking boots (which were never worn), although they were in the January sales as, like you, I looked ahead and thought DD would need some. Most outdoors centres provide the basic waterproofs, so anything that you have that is old and you don't mind getting trashed is fine.

TheHobbitMum Tue 31-May-16 17:51:35

My yr 5 kids went away for 4 nights £140 & yr6 go for a full week for £220. They didn't need anything special usually and old clothes are perfect as I always just throw them away as they get so filthy! Our yr6 trip they need camping gear (sleeping bag, memory foam camping mattress, blankets etc) tents provided. If you find the cost hard to come to speak to the school they maybe able to discount for you. My eldest 2 were in the same year so for the last 2 yrs of school I only paid for 1 as the cost was just too much.

MidnightVelvetthe5th Tue 31-May-16 17:53:14

Hi OP, my son has just come back from his, he predictably lost his kit list before he went but when I googled the place he was going, there was a kit list online, maybe try that?

Otherwise just think warm & waterproof. He will need a jumper & a decent waterproof coat. Mine needed an old pair of jeans for the nightline activity. As he went in May, he didn't need wellies but keep the time of year in mind, if its winter then a stout pair of boots would be good.

Here's something to give you an idea:

kit list

Marmighty Tue 31-May-16 18:00:26

Worth keeping an eye out in charity shops, I've picked up good quality outdoor clothing by checking regularly

CodyKing Tue 31-May-16 18:49:08

Usually ask for long sleeved top for some activities - bugger to find in summer

GoblinLittleOwl Tue 31-May-16 18:54:09

Sunhat and shorts.(You never know)

lljkk Tue 31-May-16 18:58:08

Ours need good walking boots, but you have to buy them close to trip (because obviously kids grow). Ebay is good for 2nd hand nearly new hiking boots.

Madcats Tue 31-May-16 20:20:05

DD has done a couple of residentials (winter and summer). Mountain Warehouse sale came to our rescue (and have come in jolly useful for all the outdoor stuff they seem to do). Nobody seems to care if their trousers are a bit worn/short. Does Ebay do as many barely worn "boys bundles", I wonder?

DD has fair skin (and isn't especially diligent at applying suncream) so I bought her rash vest and made sure her tops had collars for the summer trip. I also favour fleece zip jackets over jumpers (light and easy to cram in a day rucsac, and also windproof/dry easily).

From memory DD was allowed £5/day for icecream and gifts (most of these centres know some families will have saved hard to send their children so have minimal mark-up on little toys/postcards etc).

DD adores the school trip each year, I hope your DS will do too.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 31-May-16 20:25:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1463172942 Wed 01-Jun-16 11:40:55

So many helpful answers!
Thanks smile

Leeds2 Wed 01-Jun-16 14:29:28

My DD did PGL. We were told to send old clothes that we wouldn't mind too much if they had to be thrown away when the DC got back. DD's clothes came back fine, but several mums reported that the contents of the bin bag went straight into the bin! It was stressed that the trip was not a fashion parade!

From memory, DD took a cagoule and old trainers that we didn't mind getting ruined. Don't recall her taking proper walking boots or waterproof trousers. I would certainly wait until you get an official kit list before spending money on these.

At DD's camp, there was a small shop selling sweets, souvenirs etc. School set a limit of £5 spending money, and they were only allowed to buy things on the last day. Not sure if all parents stuck to the limit, but DD came home with change!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now