Better Move On Programme

(2 Posts)
Bookridden Fri 27-May-16 17:31:52

DD is in Year 4 and is one of a small number of children invited to participate in this programme which seeks to improve motor skills and co-ordination. She is a clumsy child who doesn't enjoy sports, and she is what you would call awkward in how she carries herself. However, she's very active, enjoys running around, is a superb swimmer, can write very well, tie shoelaces, manage buckles etc. I am guessing the school have asked her to participate because she is awkward physically. She doesn't ride a bike (has no wish to), can't do cartwheels, can't rollerskate and generally lacks confidence, and is a bookish, serious child who really enjoys learning.

I want DD to participate because I think it might help her develop more confidence. But now I'm worried that the school might think she is dyspraxic - I have wondered this - and wondering if I should be doing more.

DD doesn't want to do the sessions as she feels embarrassed for being singled out (back to this self-consciousness), and bless her, thinks she is quite good at PE and isn't interested in expanding her sporting repertoire. She wants to excel in everything she does and has been mortified to be singled out as needing this extra support. I want to make her feel better about herself and encourage her to give it a go. Any tips?

Seryph Sat 28-May-16 10:01:31

Her fine motor skills sound great, so that would suggest not dyspraxia. Does she have any other signs of it?
You say she is clumsy, how clumsy? For example does she walk into door frames/have trouble fitting through gaps? Are we talking falling over in the playground more often than you'd expect? Can she catch a ball/play tennis/kick a football?

Not being able to cartwheel, or use roller-skates isn't necessarily diagnostic of anything, especially if she isn't interested. These things take practice even for NC, so I wouldn't jump straight to SEN.

If it isn't causing her any great problems then I wouldn't force her to do it if she doesn't want to. If you and the school are really worried about dyspraxia then a couple of exercise classes won't do too much in the long run, and you'll need to get her formally assessed. Finding a class she wants to do in the long term might help too. Horse riding is good for balance, martial arts is good too for spacial/bodily awareness and balance, as well as strengthening muscles to bring it all together. These have the added bonus of not singling her out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now