Is it unreasonable to expect a letter of consent for a school trip.

(9 Posts)
pizzamad Fri 20-May-16 11:02:26

Or at least inform me it's taking place at all? My year five child is in the choir and he told me that he is going to another school today. Its just over two miles away. He was vague with the details about what they are doing there or anything about it at all. I said wheres the letter. He said we weren't given a letter just told that we are going. I said is not right because I need to give consent. He said i don't need to give consent because it's local. I said no there should be a letter at least informing me. He said well I'm telling you now. Anyway after my ds class assembly a ta said come on you need to go and get ready you'll be leaving soon. I then said to her is it true ds is going to X school this morning. Yes she said. But I didn't get a letter i said. Oh that's right no letter was sent out. It's not needed because it's a local trip. That's fine don't want worry about it she said. I was shocked! I would've given my consent no problem but I am wrong to think parents should at least be informed?

ChessieFL Fri 20-May-16 11:04:44

You may have already given consent - they may have issued a letter when they started school asking for consent for all trips within X miles. I'm sure I remember signing something like that.

However, you should have been told by school that it was happening.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 20-May-16 11:12:49

That's standard practice. You will have signed a letter at the start of the year giving consent for local visits.

smellyboot Fri 20-May-16 11:45:37

We did one at start of the year for whole year

DonkeyOaty Fri 20-May-16 11:50:31

Yes standard. You'll have signed a blanket Local Trips form on entry.

soapboxqueen Fri 20-May-16 17:04:21

Most schools have a blanket letter that goes out at the beginning of the year.

I think it's good practise to let parents know though.

jo164 Fri 20-May-16 19:17:04

The school I teach in has a form parents sign at the beginning of each term. The weekly calendar is emailed out every Friday for the forthcoming week so parents can see what is happening. If they choose not to read it that's their business. Sports trips further away or late finishes would always have an additional information letter for children participating.

trinity0097 Fri 20-May-16 19:43:56

Legally the school does not have to request permission for non risky trips at all that fall entirely within the school day. Most schools do, but it's not required. This is the government guidance....

Parental consent to off-site activities
Written consent from parents is not required for pupils to take part in the majority of off-site activities organised by a school (with the exception of nursery age children) as most of these activities take place during school hours and are a normal part of a child’s education at school. However, parents should be told where their child will be at all times and of any extra safety measures required.
Written consent is usually only requested for activities that need a higher level of risk management or those that take place outside school hours. The Department has prepared a “one-off” consent form which schools can ask parents to sign when a child enrols at the school. This will cover a child’s participation in any of these types of activities throughout their time at the school. These include adventure activities, off-site sporting fixtures outside the school day, residential visits and all off-site activities for nursery schools which take place at any time (including during school holidays or at the weekend). The form is available at www.education.gov.uk/schools/adminandfinance/healthandsafety. Parents must be told in advance of each activity and must be given the opportunity to withdraw their child from any particular school trip or activity covered by the form.

trinity0097 Fri 20-May-16 19:44:38

But of course you should have been told it was taking place, but you don!5 have to give consent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now