Yr 6 End of year something for the kids - what do you suggest or what are you doing?

(23 Posts)
ukgirlatheart Wed 18-May-16 10:48:20

A mum wants to do a disco for yr 6 only but they are already having a school one 2 weeks before also they can only get the school so not many want to do this.

What are you doing or can you suggest where we can take potentially 30 kids?

TeenAndTween Wed 18-May-16 11:31:09

Who is paying and how much can you afford?

Traditionally at our school y6 hasn't had a load of extra money spent on it. The PTA pays for leavers t shirts and often arranges a disco close to the end of term for the whole school. There is a leavers assembly, a leavers production, and normally a whole school end of term something like a picnic or water fight, weather permitting. Personally I think that is quite enough and no more is needed. I have been glad we don't get in to a big spending fest like some schools (I've read on here about being picked up in limos etc which I think is ridiculous).

This year a y6 Mum has persuaded the school to let y6 raise funds for their own party. I think they have raised about £250-£300. I do fear this is the thin end of the wedge, and could now escalate in future years and put pressure on parents, a number of whom have limited funds. It is currently entirely unclear who will organise the spending of this money hmm . I await with interest.

As soon as you 'take' them somewhere you are looking at coaches which will cost ££. Or organising transport with other parents. I would go with picnic / BBQ in the park or on the sports field, or swimming if you have a pool nearby. Keep it simple I reckon!

chunkymum1 Wed 18-May-16 11:38:51

DD's school took all the year 6s on a day trip which they loved. But this would need school to be happy to give them the day off and tackle all the admin/staffing for this. I think the PTA provided funds for the coach so the children just paid for admission.

A friend's DD's school let the year 6s organise their own after school party. They started organising it after SATS and were given a budget by the PTA for any food/entertainment/decoration etc. They all agreed on the theme then split up into 'committees' so each child was involved in organising one aspect of the party. They seemed to really enjoy the planning as well as the party itself and I think it was probably great for their life skills/self confidence to arrange things themselves (with adult supervision obviously). It's also amazing how many freebies/discounts they managed to blag.

noramum Wed 18-May-16 11:48:35

Our school does a Y6 disco/prom. But it is in a different location, church hall compared to school hall. The food is more fancy, cold buffet compared to hot dogs.

Everybody also dresses up.

The Summer disco is normally just y3-5 (Junior school).

ukgirlatheart Wed 18-May-16 11:48:48

Nope no £££ from school all self funded no PTA either at school (its just juniors)

deepdarkwood Wed 18-May-16 11:55:39

Picnic in local park after school on last day? Everyone brings their own food, and maybe ask people to bring along games/activities/some treats to share. And gazebos in case of rain, and water pistols in case of sun.
You could ask people to bring along a couple of quid and do a supermarket ice lolly run?

Our Y6 has 150 kids so it's always been more formal, but 'our' gang do this at the end of every year, and tbh it's much nicer than the formal stuff (we have a Y6 disco - BIG production - and leavers hoodies which I do like)

HanYOLO Wed 18-May-16 12:01:18

Our school has ditched the leavers disco as apparently it wasn't fun, and all the prom type stuff started getting silly, competitive, expensive and excluding.

This year they are having a school day trip to a local seaside town (20 mins on metro) park, pictures and Nandos. They are all very happy with it.

Parents will all do a picnic on the beach after the last day probably.

God I suddenly feel dreadfully sentimental and snivelly about the whole thing although DS can't wait to see the back of the place - Sats has ruined what would otherwise have been a lovely primary school experience.

Dragonglass Wed 18-May-16 16:06:40

We have a year 6 leavers bbq. It's held on the school grounds and parents pay a small amount for the burgers/hotdogs. Weather permitting there is usually a kids v adults rounders match too.

MilkRunningOutAgain Wed 18-May-16 16:16:14

Our school is exactly the same as dragons

turkeyboots Wed 18-May-16 16:33:13

We (PTA) do a water fight and BBQ. Parents donate salads and we pay for the rest of the food. It's really popular and any time anyone suggested something else the kids refuse as they love the water fight.

Leeds2 Wed 18-May-16 18:27:32

When DD left Y6, we went into school on the Sunday before their final day and had a BBQ. Parents donated meat, salads etc and one lovely mum made a leavers' cake. Everyone brought in outdoor games, and we were allowed to use some of the school' stuff. Worked very well, and we were lucky with the weather!

A couple of years ago, I know the parents hired two limos and half the DC went ten pin bowling and pizza hut, and the other half went to a disco in a local hall with buffet. Seemed a bit sad to me that all the children didn't spend their last day together.

lot of schools round here seem to take a picnic to the park, together with footballs, hoops etc and super soakers!

ElectroStallion Wed 18-May-16 18:32:21

Picnic on school field (if there is one)?
Everyone brings something to share.

lacebell10 Thu 19-May-16 13:00:58

A disco on their own, food, mock cocktails, red carpet, photos on said carpet, cup cakes..... year book, Leaver Hoodies, picnic last day of term.... They've just in france at present and will have year 6 production

TeenAndTween Thu 19-May-16 16:43:50

lace Who pays and organises?

carrie74 Thu 19-May-16 17:20:32

We're talking about this now. It's a small school (21 children in Y6), and they had a water fight after SATS, will be the leads in the end of year play that only Y3-6 take part in. There is a whole school end of year event which the PTA organises (although Y6 parents are heavily involved), and usually at the very end there is some kind of farewell ceremony for the Y6s. Also, of course, leavers' assembly (which has had me welling up every year I've been, even though this is the first year I'll have an actual leaver).

We plan to have a Y6 leavers' gift to school (which is the norm), they may camp out on the school grounds one evening with the head, and on the last day we're talking of taking them for a meal, then having a party in one of the parents' gardens.

Previously they've gone for bowling and a pizza, BBQ in someone's garden and camping etc. Easy to do when there's never more than 20-22 in a year.

lacebell10 Thu 19-May-16 18:16:22

The hoodies were 15 and 17 depending on size, year book and party will be about 15 together but FCCS gift the disco on top, dvd and licence for production will be about 15.... France I don't want to think about.

Cozyhome Thu 19-May-16 18:26:22

Hi my daughter is in yr6 and the pa fund have arranged leavers hoodies , they'll be a lovely keepsake .. The parents are paying to do a photo shoot where they have different poses and clothing . Another lovely keepsake.. Oh and a disco on the eve they leave confused
I'm very sad to be leaving ,as is she
:-(

CPtart Thu 19-May-16 19:25:03

We have leavers' hoodies, a leaving mass and party (pta funded) a production and they are currently away on a residential for 3 days (and it's DS' birthday today!). Immediately after SATS they all went to the park for the afternoon and had ice creams.

Arkwright Thu 19-May-16 22:13:51

School organises a disco two weeks before they finish.

On the last day they all go in limos for an hour. The parents have paid for a party afterwards.

Our old headteacher would treat them all to a meal out but our current one doesn't.

CodyKing Thu 19-May-16 23:07:54

What about a picnic in the park - take a pot luck dish -

Plus rounders bats - tennis balls frizby skipping ropes and balls - cheap and cheerful

School do a disco and games afternoon - sometime a water fight if it's warm enough

Titsywoo Thu 19-May-16 23:19:49

Our school do leavers hoodies which should arrive just before the residential week at the end of June. They are currently sorting out the y6 production which they do in July. The weekend before they leave there is a disco in a local church hall. On their last day the school take them to a big local park for games and then the parents take them to another park after school and bring picnics etc.

mrz Fri 20-May-16 07:06:10

Ours will spend the day at a local activities centre - bowling, laser quest, climbing wall and roller skating plus lunch. Friends of the school group are buying class hoodies.

Panicmode1 Sat 21-May-16 06:42:59

The PFA organise a leavers disco, and a couple of us are trying to organise a big swimming party with a picnic in the park afterwards. There are 90 in the year group. We also tried to do leavers hoodies, but the PFA fund T shirts for the trip they do to the IOW in the last term, so it was felt that was enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now