Thank You Letters for a Party

(9 Posts)
oompaloompaland Mon 16-May-16 12:05:10

We've just held the most wonderful party for our DD and she has received lots of lovely presents. We always (I absolutely insist on it) send out Thank you notes if she receives anything, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about variations for Thank you cards. She isn't a big writer and all I've come up with is either a pre-typed message attached to either a scroll, or a fan? The children attending the party were aged 8-9 and both boys and girls.

Thank you.

kesstrel Mon 16-May-16 13:24:51

Personally, I feel that just as you wouldn't expect a thank you note from the host of a dinner party for the flowers you brought, children shouldn't be expected to write a note for presents brought to a birthday party. Indeed, the traditional etiquette would have been for the party guests to write a thank you note to their hostess, not the other way round.

Cleo1303 Mon 16-May-16 13:29:18

I think both should write - guests and the recipients of the presents.

DD has always done fairly standard letters but one clever friend takes photos at the party and then makes a collage - A5 size - which she prints off and there is a short message in the middle: "Thank you for my lovely present. Love XXX"

oompaloompaland Mon 16-May-16 13:41:41

It might be a generation thing kesstrel. My parents always insisted that my siblings and I said Thank You for a gift, and I've always felt it important to send Thank You notes. On the other side we certainly had all the children on Saturday saying "Thank you for having me". It is a matter of choice, absolutely, but is something we feel comfortable with.

Cleo1303 - I love that idea. Thank you. I shall see what photos I have of the shindigs. smile

noramum Mon 16-May-16 14:00:53

DD did emails last year.

A friend did the photo collage, I liked it, they really personalised it by getting shots of the individual child and some group shots as well.

irvineoneohone Mon 16-May-16 18:23:04

I think it's a lovely thing to do. I agree, with photo ones. It's going to be a nice memento.

SavoyCabbage Mon 16-May-16 19:58:35

I always do a photo (either of that one child or a group shot) laminated with holes in the top and a ribbon through so they can hang it up.

multivac Mon 16-May-16 22:11:31

Personally, I'd rather you didn't waste resources by sending my children a 'thank you' note for a gift given to your child, for which your child has already said 'thank you' in person. Even if it's laminated.

If you must, however, then I think I'd prefer the design concept to come from the actual recipient of the gift, rather than the mumsnet hive-mind... smile

Hersetta427 Tue 17-May-16 11:36:12

Cleo - I may have to steel that idea. My daughter's 9th birthday is coming up and she is having an exotic animal encounter provided by a mobile zoo complete with snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, meerkats, a honeybear plus others. Will make great photos of the kids holding the animals so the collage would a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now