Likely moving abroad, should I inform school?(5 Posts)
I would appreciate your input please on this, especially from anyone working at a school.
Very likely moving abroad in a few months although not certain and DC due to start Reception in September. They have been offered a place at a sought after Primary school within catchment and I have accepted as us moving abroad is not 100% confirmed but dependent on me winning a Leave to Remove court case against my XH as well as finding a suitable job abroad, although is looking likely.
I have just received a letter from the school with dates for a home visit and a parent evening (standard around this area). Would you mention my current circumstances or should I better keep it to myself for the time being? First reaction would obviously to not say anything but, there is a possibility that I could find myself having to fly abroad for a day or so for interviews over the next few months and being a single parent with zero support in the UK that would mean having to take the DC with me, thus them having to possibly miss school on that day. A far from ideal situation I know but I really would not have anyone to leave them with (would of course try to have interviews over Skype whereas possible but when it reaches a certain point they do want to meet you in person). School being aware could perhaps make them more understanding with the odd school absence or is it bound to work against me/DC and jeopardise their school place in any way?
Really unsure as to the best way to handle this. There is also the fact that XH is extremely spiteful and into game playing; I wouldn't put it past him informing the school himself once/if I gain permission to move in a few weeks anyway.
There is no reason for you not to be upfront with the school. They can't take the place away from you. And you shouldn't give it up until things are certain in case you need it. But there is no reason not to give them a heads up.
I would go through the induction process as normal. Meet them, discuss what is going on, etc.
I wouldn't - there is no benefit to the school in knowing if it's not 100% certain (they can't do anything to plan) and it could be detrimental to you - no they won't take the place away (i'd hope!) but if the move doesn't go ahead it might set you off on the wrong foot from the off. There is a very long way to go for this to be certain and I wouldn't share it at all yet. You might need your DC to start in September because things have been delayed as well and you wouldn't want them to start being difficult and trying to get a final answer out of you before you know for sure. It's not like you're going to get it all confirmed and then have to leave straight away (or rather I'd imagine now) so they'll have at least a few weeks notice when it is confirmed and the court case is done etc etc. And to be honest what do they really need to do? Sure it would be nice for someone else to get the place if you do go but not to the detriment of your own DC.
There is no need to tell the school that you are moving, whether it's abroad (or anywhere else) until you are 100% certain that this is going ahead.
It's important that you attend the parents evening as that is where you will be given key information about which class your child will be in etc.
I would possibly say that you are applying for jobs and may need to change the dates of a home visit, if you have any interviews, but I don't think you need to give any further information than that at the moment.
Does your DC know about your plans? Because if they do, they will probably mention it during the home visit!
But as your plans are not certain, you have no obligation to mention it to the school now. Lots of people move.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.