Year 6 after SATS???

(20 Posts)
summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 15:57:53

What happens after SATS in year 6?

Has all the teacher assessed work such as English writing work already been completed? If not when is the deadline for this?

Do the teachers have to submit teacher assessed grades or work for moderating externally and if so when?

Thanks

Wellthen Wed 11-May-16 17:22:36

No it hasn't been completed. Schools send off their grades, some of those schools will be moderated. I believe these grades go off mid June.

summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 20:34:06

Thanks for this. Any year 6 teachers who can confirm the exact date for submitting the assessed grades? What do the children do after that?

KingscoteStaff Wed 11-May-16 21:30:50

In our LEA we submit Teacher Assessment on 20th June.

After that we have one Art unit (Warhol portraits), one DT unit (bread making and packaging), one Science unit (Electricity) and one Geography unit (OS maps) to teach, plus rehearsing the acting, singing and dancing for the Year Six production, not to mention building and painting the scenery and sticking stapling sewing things onto costumes. We're also competing in the Borough Athletics meet, swimming gala and cricket tournament, plus the usual sports day etc.

mrz Wed 11-May-16 21:36:37

The date will vary across local authorities

Titsywoo Wed 11-May-16 21:40:24

At DD's school they start to practice the leavers play straight after the SATs end, they also have a topic for the term so will concentrate on that. Plus they have the residential trip after half term. They will still be learning.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 11-May-16 22:00:30

Auditions for the play start next week.

DS has said they still have writing assessments to do until end of June.

They also have a residential trip after half term

OddBoots Wed 11-May-16 22:03:01

There seems to be a lot of transition stuff for secondary (unless it is a middle school) after SATs too.

elephantoverthehill Wed 11-May-16 22:05:02

London residential, move up days, prom and lots of educational classroom fun.

samlovesdilys Wed 11-May-16 22:09:43

30th June is government deadline for teacher assessments. Sats results should be out 5th July but think that is to schools not pupils...

summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 22:09:49

Thanks. I wasn't being critical. I am sure it is great fun and educational especially for those who enjoy end of year production and sports etc and certainly not worried about the learning aspect after all this grammar for SATS it will be a welcome change.

summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 22:22:06

Just seen a letter dated 18/2/16 online from Nick Gibb to all head teachers saying that for this year only the deadline is 30th June presumably therefore the same for the whole country. Extract as below:-

You asked me to reconsider the decision by the Standards and Testing Agency
(STA) to set an earlier deadline for schools to report their teacher assessment
judgements this year. For Key Stage 1 this is 13 June which is 2 weeks earlier than
it was last year and for Key Stage 2 this is 22 May, which is four weeks earlier. The
rationale for setting the earlier deadline this year was to ensure that all schools
submit their teacher assessment data at the same time, after their own internal
validation processes have been completed, but prior to any external moderation
taking place. This move would mean fairer and more robust arrangements for the
collection of teacher assessment data. However, I am prepared, for this year only, to
relax the deadlines in recognition of the unique circumstance of teachers working
with a new framework to new standards. I have asked the STA to amend their
Assessment and Reporting Arrangements to reflect an amended deadline for KS1
and KS2 of 30 June and to communicate the change to all primary schools.

summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 22:25:14

Thanks samlovesdilys - I cross posted. Does that mean the results can leave the schools on 29th or is there a whole another process in between government deadline?

ineedaholidaynow Wed 11-May-16 22:28:33

We have been told results should be out by 5th July, but our HT said they always end up appealing at least one result, so I assume they will delay letting parents know until any appeals have been sorted.

summerchocolate Wed 11-May-16 22:39:15

Sorry I meant does that mean the teacher assessments can leave the schools on the 29th June or is there a whole another process in between the government deadline of the 30th June and the schools sending off their assessments?

KingscoteStaff Thu 12-May-16 16:44:05

For us, T.Ass. goes to the Borough on the 20th and they send them on to DfE (I guess). We are a community primary - it may be different for academies.

summerchocolate Thu 12-May-16 17:33:54

Thanks Kingscote. Anyone know if academies have to submit to the borough by 20th too??

simpson Thu 12-May-16 17:39:33

My DC school is an academy & parents have been told writing goes on till end of June.

PatriciaHolm Thu 12-May-16 17:45:50

Academies are bound by the same assessment deadlines as other schools in their LEA.

CreepingDogFart Thu 12-May-16 19:34:55

Transition work happens which means preparing children for KS3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now