Pre-SATs breakfast : McDonalds. Discuss.

(37 Posts)
Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 21:04:56

This could possibly just be me BU, year 6 children going for a pre-SATs breakfast at McDonalds - and rewarded with cakes and chocolate bars in the run up to SATs. chatted with friend who is not happy about this, and thought she might complain to the head. my thoughts are no, this is not brain food, maybe ask parents to make sure the kids have a good breakfast, but maccyD's with all that sugar and additives, surely cannot be right?

Like I said, might just be me - would NOT be happy. Might call Jamie Oliver!

mrz Tue 10-May-16 21:14:29

Imagine they thought of it as a treat for the children.

allegretto Tue 10-May-16 21:17:37

I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy, depends what you choose. I had one this morning and I'm no even doing SATS!

CreepingDogFart Tue 10-May-16 21:21:34

I think people need to chill out and stop being hysterical about every little thing. It's like people seek out something to be offended by.

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 21:22:26

of course, I realise it was supposed to be a treat.

My initial thought was sugar/refined carb rush, rather than sustained energy throughout the day... and a crash in concentration at some point.

should point out I've never been to McDs after reading fast food nation so maybe this is why I'm all biscuit-faced.

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 21:23:15

Creepingdogfart I'm not offended, just a bit... WTF?

PeaceLoveGonk Tue 10-May-16 21:29:16

Egg McMuffin = good source of protein, carbs and fat - perfect SATs breakfast. Though I do hate Mcdonalds.

allegretto Tue 10-May-16 21:31:13

I can't believe that complaining to the head was mentioned - for a meal not even in school time!

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 21:53:05

McMuffins - are they nice? I thought about it all the way home in the car.... My mum always made me eat fish and eggs before an exam.

Janefromdowntheroad Tue 10-May-16 21:55:15

Yesterday DD had two homemade banana and nut muffins

This morning she had McD pancakes and two hash browns with orange juice

Exam started at 9, doubt she crashed very hard before then

Fish and eggs....you realise they are 10?!

Janefromdowntheroad Tue 10-May-16 21:56:01

Please go and tell the head. Let us know what she says.

TheSuspiciousMsWhicher Tue 10-May-16 21:57:37

Complain to the head? Really? What business is it of yours? Aren't Maccy Ds breakfasts basically egg or bacon sandwiches anyway? Not something to be eaten every day but not that bad. I'm sure they do porridge and fruit there as well. Get off your high horse.

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 22:03:27

SuspiciousMW, not my school, you are right that it is not my business. no high horse at all, just wondered what the general opinion was...

Googled the menu, there is porridge, alongside donuts.

dementedpixie Tue 10-May-16 22:03:46

Maybe you should read what is on the menu before getting your judgy pants in a knot www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/menu/breakfast.html. Plenty of choice so it doesnt have to be sugar laden

dementedpixie Tue 10-May-16 22:04:45

Wouldn't bother me tbh but then we go to McDonalds on other occasions (not been for breakfast much)

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 22:05:07

Pixie, we cross posted there whilst I was adjusting my pants.

ChippyMinton Tue 10-May-16 22:06:01

Is the school taking them?
There are many children who arrive at school without having eaten breakfast. Perhaps this is the school's was of ensuring everyone is fuelled up for the day ahead?

PurpleDaisies Tue 10-May-16 22:08:02

I think it's absolutely fine. I eat McDonald's breakfasts as an occadional treat. My bmi is totally normal.

My only objection would be it turns sats into a bigger deal than they need to be. I'd prefer they were basically ignored apart from encouraging the children just to do their best on the day and forget about it.

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 22:08:24

ChippyMinton, that didn't occur to me. I wouldn't have thought so but maybe, I don't know - I guess it was a treat plus making sure full bellies and alleviating any stress. I'm sure intentions were good.

PaulDacresMicroPenis Tue 10-May-16 22:08:58

Discuss?

Who the fuck do you think you are?

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 22:11:04

PurpleDaisies, that's the thing - the message wrapped up there is that the aim of this big McEffort is make you feel less stressed (fundamentally, the teachers are stressed) - it's like running into a room and shouting 'don't panic' ...

Mirrorball Tue 10-May-16 22:11:32

Hello MicroPenis.

Brokenbiscuit Tue 10-May-16 22:18:20

It's obviously meant to be a nice treat for the kids and I think complaining to the school would be an over-reaction.

My dd hates McDs so wouldn't actually regard it as a treat. She's never tried their breakfasts though.

If the intention is to ensure that all of the kids have a decent breakfast before the tests, and some might not otherwise eat anything at all, then fair enough. However, I tend to agree with purple that it could potentially make the tests seem a much bigger deal than they should be.

LittleHouseOnTheShelf Tue 10-May-16 22:21:00

Whatever works. It's only four days.

Maki79 Tue 10-May-16 22:21:21

Cool...bet the kids loved it and properly forgot about the Sats for 5 mins!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now