effing sats urgent

(9 Posts)
Bessiebigpants Mon 09-May-16 17:05:07

My son is in year 6 Its Sats He is dyslexic has iep and seen ed psych etc.All through prep he was told that he would get a scribe etc to support him.He is bright but,struggles to get it on paper.Anyway I collect him from child minder today and he is not allowed a scribe after all! No notice just sat down for test without one no explanation.Would it be unreasonable to tell school to stuff it and keep him off all week.Its not fair to put him under this amount of stress all the prep was done with a view to having a scribe.Im not worried about the fine and to be fair his attendance is near perfect.Can school force him to sit SATs if he is unprepared.Background last year his sisters sat level 6 so am not against says just want a level playing field.Teacher says he does not meet criteria WTF is the criteria?

Pregasaurusrex Mon 09-May-16 17:07:30

Was his school inspected by the testing agency today per chance?

HairyMaclary Mon 09-May-16 17:08:57

If he has a scribe as part of his normal way of working he should be allowed one in the test, but not it he doesn't usually. Were you definitely told he would be having one? Does the TAnor teacher scribe for him in class sometimes?

Bessiebigpants Mon 09-May-16 17:12:28

He has extra support for class.I specifically asked at last parents evening and was told yes to scribe.

HairyMaclary Mon 09-May-16 17:13:48

Well in that case I'd be ringing/emailing tonight. Not sure what can be done about today's test but for tomorrow's he should have a scribe...

Bessiebigpants Mon 09-May-16 17:17:04

I've been in and complained,they said no hence sod them I will keep him home.Im just cross at how it was handled both teachers sat there and said it was bonding exercise for the children.

neolara Mon 09-May-16 19:06:45

Even if you keep your ds off, the school is obligated to make your ds take the sats on his return because they are statutory.

jo164 Mon 09-May-16 19:11:32

A child can only have a scribe if this is how they usually work in the classroom, it cannot just a one off for exams. A school would be asked to prove this. Today was the reading paper which means dyslexic children only have 25% extra time allocated, but no reader. School have misled you if they suggested a scribe was going to be allowed if this is not normal for your child.

mrz Mon 09-May-16 19:56:05

In normal lessons does his support scribe from him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now