PrivateSchools

(18 Posts)
Bhuvanakarthik Mon 09-May-16 13:42:20

Hi all,
We have moved to London recently. Planning to choose the area "Harrow on the Hill" .
We have two girls of ages 8(2008 April) and 5(2011 April). Looking out for some really good private schools for them. It can be either girls or mixed.
Really need all your valuable inputs in this.

MMmomDD Mon 09-May-16 20:07:52

Look at the Good Schools guide - you can search by area and it'll give you descriptions and results of the local private schools.
A good starting point

bluecarpet Mon 09-May-16 20:53:20

Your issue will be getting them in. Good schools will be over-subscribed for reception and have competitive assessments for year 3 and 7, so you'd be looking at sitting your 5 year old for the 7+ (yr 3 entry) and your 8 year old for the 11+ (yr 7 entry). Before that it will be a case of finding a school with two spaces, which is likely to be tricky. I'd suggest a state application too in the short term.

Aldenham isn't a million miles from Harrow and I think isn't as over-subscribed, might be worth a phone call.

AcademiaNut Mon 09-May-16 21:50:02

Some of the more academic schools only open places to children from families who've relocated. So do contact all schools you might be interested in.
How academic a school are you looking for?

ArabellaRockerfella Mon 09-May-16 22:54:33

Well the first one on your doorstep would be Orley Farm. Ring and see if they have spaces, you sometimes get movement towards the end of term as families plan to relocate over the summer.

Bhuvanakarthik Tue 10-May-16 07:10:01

Hi mums,
Thank you so much all of you for sharing your experience. As u all said I'm keeping my options open as I need two seats.
I need both academic as well as some sports and some arts & crafts as both my kids love those a lot.

Please do share your opinion about schools near the areas Finchley road and st.johns woods

bluecarpet Tue 10-May-16 10:49:45

that's a long way from Harrow! have you decided where you are going to live

NW London schools are fiercely competitive with about 10 applicants per place at reception and children are tutored for at least a year for the 7+

If you're looking in Finchley/Golders Green/SJW then your best bet would be to get your 5 year old into a pre-prep that will prepare for the 7+ - try Annemount, Golders Hill, The Avenue or Hampstead Hill.

Then you could try one of the less selective preps for your older one like Devonshire House or Northbridge House and sit the 11+ from there

another option would be St Margaret's in Kidderpore Avenue, Hampstead which is a lovely and very small school that goes to 16 - they are flexible with class sizes and so might be able to move things around to fit both girls. Head is Mark Webster and he's very approachable.

Bhuvanakarthik Tue 10-May-16 16:16:25

Thank u so much bluecarpet. I have made a request for school visit to few schools. Let's go ahead and see whom we like and who gives us admission.

Bhuvanakarthik Tue 10-May-16 16:49:54

The blackheath high GDST has given us school visit. But I'm a bit bothered about the safety around that area if we have start living near the school.

I really need all your views in this regards. Please do share ur views

CruCru Tue 10-May-16 21:40:41

A friend's daughter goes to Haberdasher's, which is round there.

bluecarpet Tue 10-May-16 22:12:15

Habs very unlikely to have space, they only take 6-8 girls at 7 and the 11+ is very competitive so you'd need to go full whack with the tutoring.

SE13Mummy Sun 15-May-16 23:48:04

Blackheath High would not be a good choice if you were to live in Harrow. We live fairly close to Blackheath and I think it's a lovely area; lots of beautiful parks, young families involved in community activities, lots of arts opportunities through places such as the Conservatoire, Blackheath Halls, easy access to London and a positive feel. Visit Blackheath and see how you feel.

Bhuvanakarthik Mon 16-May-16 06:32:34

Oooo. That's really a good news. Will go there and have the feel

Bhuvanakarthik Mon 16-May-16 14:22:46

A quick choice between The village school and Devonshire House preparatory school. Please post your choice between these two.

bluecarpet Mon 16-May-16 14:25:15

No personal knowledge but lots of previous threads so worth a search

CruCru Mon 16-May-16 18:19:12

I don't know the Village but my old boss's son goes to Devonshire House and is very happy with it.

Bhuvanakarthik Tue 17-May-16 05:36:04

Thank you for the info momies 😊

Patry Tue 17-May-16 05:51:19

Blackheath High? You won't be able to travel to Blackheath from
Harrow with two kids every day.
As for safety, please do go and visit Blackheath. I can't imagine what safety issues anyone could possibly have in Blackheath. In my opinion it's a far safer place from some of the NW London places you've mentioned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now