Learning to type - KS2

(13 Posts)
TrainBridge Sun 08-May-16 18:18:31

I'd like my 7yo to learn to touch type, as she's increasingly being asked to do posters / presentations for school on the computer, and it currently takes her ages and watching her hunt and peck is driving me bananas.Can anyone recommend an app (I have an iPad and an external keyboard) that is British English, child friendly and not full of in-app purchases or flashing adverts?

cariadlet Sun 08-May-16 18:48:47

Try Dance Mat Typing. It's from the BBC Bitesize website so ad-free and well structured.
www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3c6tfr

irvineoneohone Sun 08-May-16 19:03:34

My ds learned to type with this free website.

typingclass.co.uk/index.html

TrainBridge Sun 08-May-16 19:43:29

Unfortunately neither of those works on an iPad (no Flash), though the BBC one looks so good I'm tempted to try and revive an ancient laptop to use it. But it would be easier if there was an app.

Ferguson Sun 08-May-16 21:19:21

Having been a touch-typist for over fifty years, I'm afraid it just IS NOT POSSIBLE to type properly, other than on a proper office-style keyboard. So if your separate keyboard is of office-style quality, it MAY be possible to learn on an iPad. Even laptops, I always tell people, are not suitable as keys do not have the correct 'feel' and the 'mouse pad' puts the keys too far away for a comfortable reach.

If she works through 'Dance Mat' diligently, she can at least learn the correct relationship between keys, and once she has a feel for that, it might help her speed up. I find it very sad that 'proper' computers have turned into these gimmicky little screens and phones, as worthwhile work cannot really be produced on them.

I'll look back if a few days, with advice and 'tips' if that is any use to her.

(As a TA I used to run touch-typing sessions at primary school.)

souperb Mon 09-May-16 13:22:32

Have you tried BBC dancemat through the puffin academy app. It's a free app that allows educational websites that use flash to work on iPads. Dancemat is excellent, but get some headphones as the sounds are particularly maddening.

souperb Mon 09-May-16 15:23:52

Got home and checked - bbc bite size is on puffin academy.

irvineoneohone Mon 09-May-16 17:39:44

Agree with souperb, puffin academy has lots of great free apps and enables you to use flash websites. My ds isn't a fan of ipad, so we don't use it often, but
we got puffin as soon as we found out about t.

TrainBridge Mon 09-May-16 18:07:41

I'll download puffin academy this evening, thanks!

ExtremelyConfidential Mon 09-May-16 18:17:56

My DS just turned 8 yo just started the BBC dance mat one today and loves it!

TrainBridge Mon 09-May-16 22:04:42

So I downloaded it and it works fine until you try typing, and then it doesn't seem to pick it up. Which is weird as the keyboard is working fine for everything else on the iPad.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 09-May-16 22:12:20

I've been using this with DD, neither of us could stand the voice on DanceMat.

www.typingstudy.com

ExtremelyConfidential Tue 10-May-16 07:37:19

I couldn't stand the voices either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now