ha ha so yet again we have the sunscreen issue

(17 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 13:54:52

reception kids are not allowed to take their sunscreen into school.

so what do those who have kids allergic to those all day ones do?

who leaves it all day and hopes fir the best

who speaks a tube into the book bag and hopes their kid leaves it alone til lunchtime?

Wolfiefan Fri 06-May-16 13:56:48

I can't believe there are many kids allergic to all all day sunscreens.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 13:59:33

Well the rashes and itching speak fir themselves..

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 06-May-16 13:59:53

Ours are encouraged to take it thankfully. For most occasions though they are only out in short bursts of time and uniform covers all but forearms and lower legs. Sun hat in the bag to protect their face and they should be fine. I tend to just give mine a stick to pop over their nose and cheek area.

I'm lucky though. Ds1 does get flare ups with some creams but it isn't too bad so if they are going to be at a sports festival or something out all day then I can slather him before he leaves the house and since it is only one day things won't get too bad.

idontlikealdi Fri 06-May-16 13:59:53

I wouldn't expect my reception kids to be able to apply it properly anyway.

Which ones have you tried - my twins and I are allergic to soltan but the Amber solaire 50+ is ok.

ShowOfHands Fri 06-May-16 14:00:32

I put my dc in long sleeves and a hat as a general rule but I insisted on dd carrying suncream in reception. My mum has had skin cancer twice. I have a condition which means I burn through clothes and dd has my skin type and colouring. It's one of the only issues I've been That Mum over. School accepted it once I'd explained our family history.

SavoyCabbage Fri 06-May-16 14:01:15

I've just spent seven years living in Australia where it was often as sunny in the winter as it is here now.

My dc put sunscreen on in the morning and that was it. They wear hats in the summer.

I worked as a primary school supply teacher in loads of schools and I never saw anyone reapply sunscreen during the day. The classrooms have sunscreen in them usually and if they had forgotten to put theirs on that morning then it's there.

Sunscreen allergies/reactions are quite common but you just use a different one.

MigGril Fri 06-May-16 14:03:51

Even a lot of the normal sunscreens have a good 4 hours on them. As they are at school for only 6 hours if go with a high factor and a void sun hat and not worry about it to much.

Unless you have a child with supper sensitive skin it shouldn't be a huge problem. Most of there outside time will be at lunch time and the rest of us to hot the teachers should be making sure they are in shade.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 14:04:29

only tried a couple. but they make me itch and dd1 can't use them.as she has eczema and I have to use those organic vegan ones fir her so buying a load of different ones to try that no one else can use is pointless and a waste of money.

her usual brand is only a small tube so I'll just put it in the book.bag then and explain of its found. .

MaddyHatter Fri 06-May-16 14:05:28

have you tried the Sunsense ones?

DD is allergic to most suncream, but the Sun Sense, and especially their Toddler milk work ok for her.

Its a little more expensive, but its peace of mind!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 14:07:46

last yea we used the green people. she was good with that. thought she was allergic to the Jasons I bought so ordered another one and then it turned out nursery were using the soltan and that's the one she was reacting too.

readingrainbow Fri 06-May-16 14:07:53

I don't understand the need for this hand wringing at all. 20 munites, twice a day of outdoor time is highly unlikely to result in burns. Sports day, yes, bit the rest of the school year no. It's no wonder we have low vit D levels; the second the sun comes out we slather ourselves in factor 50!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 14:08:48

I burn within minutes of using factor 50 through clothing. .

pasty white me and kids grin

MaddyHatter Fri 06-May-16 14:10:21

I hate it when they use their own. Dd is bad enough that i give the school strict instructions they are NOT ALLOWED to use any one elses cream on her, she goes bright red!

I use a minimal amount on her arms and cheeks, and back of her neck, and try to keep the rest of her covered, hats, tshirts...etc

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 06-May-16 14:16:48

luckily they used hers when I bought some in. thought I'd get away with it with dd1 tbh as up til.that point she hadn't reacted to anything except as she and her sister used to share baths I'd always use dd1s stuff on her so tbh she's not really had anything "tested" on her.

seems.they share the sunscreen thing though

dd1s teacher made her use face paint in a school assembly. angry

lovely spotty face after that one...

catkind Fri 06-May-16 17:20:37

It's not 20 minutes two times a day though is it? Or not at our school. They work outdoors as much as possible when it's sunny. Which is lovely, but not if they don't have hats and sunscreen.
Even the all day ones say to reapply after stuff like changing clothes (PE!) which can rub them off.

smellyboot Sun 08-May-16 08:06:35

My DD reacts badly to some inc Soltan. She reacts badly to most high factor stuff. I just use factor 15 which is not as thick and certain brands which she doesn't react to. Our school ask them to bring their own in if its very hot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now