48h rule when vomiting not caused by sickness.

(19 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Fri 06-May-16 08:04:27

Ds is being treated for chronic constipation. Occasionally he gets such severe pain that it makes him vomit. The pain eases after a few hours and he is 100% back to normal. When this happens it is clear that he does not have a communicable illness.

Is there any hope that school will accept him attending the following day?

SprogletsMum Fri 06-May-16 08:07:02

My dd has an overactive gag reflex she can be sick just from seeing something she doesn't like the look of.
I just don't tell school she's been sick when I know she's done that because they have a blanket 48 hours off for sick but I know she's not sick. I have kept her off a few times if I'm not 100% sure that's why she's been sick though.

irvineoneohone Fri 06-May-16 08:14:20

My ds's school agreed to ignore 48 hours rules after vomit and diarrhea if we are certain it was caused by allergy. Otherwise he would have missed so many days in early years, when we are still figuring out his allergy.

ReallyTired Fri 06-May-16 08:16:15

I think a bit of common sense applies. One time dd made herself sick by doing cartwheels straight after breakfast.

twinkletoedelephant Fri 06-May-16 08:22:17

My boys school doesn't.... Ds1 clocked early on if he told his teacher he was sick after register mummy has to come get him and he gets 2 days off....
I now have to ask if anyone has seen him be sick? Or if he has a temp? ( none of my children ate very Sicky)
Ds2 had what I think was a migraine on Sunday night... Was sick at 9pm had a good sleep was totally fine by morning... Checked with office no needs to be off 48hr after every sickness.... Had some lovely 121 time at theme park and nice lunch out with him :+)

irvineoneohone Fri 06-May-16 09:00:43

Maybe I would have chose not tell the school if my ds wasn't a kind of child who tells everything to teacher at school. I had to tell the school and ask for their permission because he would have innocently told the teacher he was sick or tummy ache and runny poo, and we would be in trouble.

Witchend Fri 06-May-16 09:40:10

I have had permission to ignore it for dd2, who vomits with migraines, and ds who vomits with temperature rises, of which he's prone. They're usually very strict, but they said to me that if they've only been sick once and seem fine and there isn't a big vomiting bug sweeping the school they can come in as soon as I'm happy to.
Ds was most put out. grin

LifeIsGoodish Fri 06-May-16 09:42:18

Thanks for your stories. Sounds like it's worth talking to the school.

SouthDownsSunshine Fri 06-May-16 09:43:26

DD (still at nursery) will be sick with her allergy, and we'll ignore the 48hr rule in that case. Nursery turn a blind eye - I just say she had an allergic reaction. If in doubt though, I keep her off.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 06-May-16 09:47:23

DD1s school let's them come in if it's vomiting caused by anything other than a bug. They've also reduced the 48 hour rule to 24 hours for the upper school (years 4-6)

SocksRock Fri 06-May-16 09:50:42

DS was sick on the dentist yesterday when he triggered his gag reflex. Apart from the utter shame on my behalf, there is nothing wrong with him and he's gone to school today.

ifgrandmahadawilly Fri 06-May-16 09:51:00

Could you argue that the 48 hour rule is in breach of the equality act? That your child's education is being adversely affected by this blanket rule. It could be considered a reasonable adjustment for them to abandon the rule in cases where your child is sick and its clearly not due to a stomach bug?

Bonnylassie Fri 06-May-16 09:53:37

My son is in nursery and has a dairy allergy. We were slowly introducing dairy back into his diet and he had a reaction over the weekend and was very sick. I took him in on Monday explained what had happened (they were aware we were trialling dairy as they had to give him stuff I sent in with him) and they were fine. They know he will more than likely have slip ups now and again and as long as I'm not sending him in sick they are happy to take him.

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 06-May-16 10:15:01

Ds1 used to vomit on a very regular basis if he found a lump in his porridge or a cheerio went down the wrong way. He jsut had a stupidly sensitive gag reflex. I just sent him to school and told them. Our school has always been pretty understanding. He had secondary dairy intolorance after a nasty stomach bug once too which given that he was already on fybogel and senna for constipation mucked things up and we had several days of lots of soiling before we figured it out. Obviously when he was soiling lots it wasn't fair to him or school to send him but once we figured it out them were happy to have him. The only one we struggle with is dd who has fairly sensitive bowels and has occasional explosive poos and given that you can't always reliably tell if it is a bug or not we have to do the 48 hour thing if she does it at school.

littlemisstax Fri 06-May-16 20:03:35

DD has a tendency to vomit after something even slightly exciting (as low level as seeing her cousins or going to the park). Her school have agreed that I can ignore the 48hr rule if I'm happy that she's not ill, but if she vomits at school she has to be sent home for the rest of that day. All they have asked is that they are told she has vomitted.

PotteringAlong Fri 06-May-16 20:05:45

Just send them to school and don't tell them.

ProudAS Sun 08-May-16 19:56:41

Your DC's education should not suffer because of a blanket policy which is not relevant in his case.

QuiteQuietly Sun 08-May-16 20:54:24

DD2 missed most of reception because of this rule. She is sick a lot - major motion sickness and probably some allergies (we are still pursuing this). School were not interested in consultant letters/folders of paperwork. In the end we had to make all sorts of threats about disability discrimination and involve the LEA. They are still not happy (in fact they are often very pointed about it ), but frankly they have to live with it AND deal with the fact she is so very far behind.

sunnydayinmay Sun 08-May-16 20:55:45

Ds2 was travel sick last week (15 minute journey, looking at a friend's tablet in back seat). It obviously wasn't a bug, so I just sent him in as normal. I am super strict on this, but common sense prevailed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now