Primary waiting list angst

(11 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Wed 04-May-16 14:55:21

In my area the primary school waiting lists came out today. We got out second choice school but it's several miles away whereas first choice is a ten minute walk of half a mile still don't know how DS didn't get in!

So he's number 4 on the waiting list which sounds fairly hopeful but I have no idea how much movement there usually is or when it would happen. I feel like I'm in limbo and just want to know which school or will be!

Anyone else in the same situation want to obsess with me?! Or does anyone have previous experience of this process?

I want to start preparing DS as soon as I can for school starting but he'll want to know details like where it is, whether we drive or walk etc, which I can't answer! So frustrating!

umizoomi Wed 04-May-16 15:10:10

Your first choice school is clearly pretty oversubscribed if he didn't get it at half a mile away and he is 4th on the list. I think you should assume you are going to the second choice one you have been allocated. In our area, the LA waiting lists are kept open until Christmas. There will be movement all the time but it's obviously a popular school so unlikely people will decline a place now. More I likely that people will move house and school and free up places. However, if someone moves into the area and nearer the school than you, they will be higher up the list than you. If he was first on the list good chance of getting in at some point. 4th, not likely I don't think

MattDillonsPants Wed 04-May-16 15:11:40

Hang in there...I had to wait for DD1s place. It can vary hugely as to when movement happens and how often though...there's no way of predicting and it can take until the end of year 2 before some kids move.

That's because some parents choose private for juniors and others choose that ti e to move house as it's a natural break in education anyway.

Sometimes, some parents decide to go another route right before school begins...they might feel they've made the wrong choice or something else happens to change their minds. You just can't be sure how long it will take OP...also...the 3 people before you...in a year or so will actually feel happy with the schools their DC got and won't want a place which is offered to them.

DO check with the authority if you need to do anything to maintain your place on the list. Make sure they don't ditch the waiting people on a yearly basis or anything and call every term to check on status.

PenelopeChipShop Wed 04-May-16 16:07:37

Umizoomi I have got a feeling you're right tbh, it's so popular that I just think it's unlikely 3 people would drop out but haven't been through this before so you never know!

Does anyone know if you have to do anything to actively 'accept' the place you have or is it just assumed by the school you're in that your DC is going unless you say otherwise?

PatriciaHolm Wed 04-May-16 16:13:39

Different areas differ on how acceptances are required; some allow you to do it online, some assume you want the place unless you say otherwise. You would need to check.

Have you double checked that the LA used the right distance/criteria for you? It should say in the allocations letter you got.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 04-May-16 19:15:02

How big is the reception intake? 4 on the list is very different if the intake is 15 compared to 90. In my experience in good school 2-3 move in the first year or two of school per 30 children, turnover might be higher say in London and lower at outstanding school, but even then parents move for work or aren't happy.

starpatch Fri 06-May-16 20:55:31

We are on a waiting list to though our second choice school is a good option for us. Not sure what I will do but I think if you delay school start until after half term you would have a much better chance. People may move away overseas or go private and the school wouldn't know until they don't turn up plus others on the waiting list will probably have dropped out by then.

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Fri 06-May-16 21:08:59

We're on 6 waiting lists, after not getting any of our preferred schools. The best we are at is no3 at a school a mile and a half away. Not below 10 for any of the others - including the one about 500m away. I'm checking the lists about 3 times a day!

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Fri 06-May-16 21:09:54

On and you can ring the schools to find out how many they accepted off the waiting list last year, then you might get an idea of your chances.

Toottoot22 Fri 06-May-16 22:07:20

We put my DS1 on a waiting list when he started primary and ended up being first on list so quickly offered place. I know there were at least 2 more on waiting list who got places too. It was a 2 form entry at that time and a very popular school. People don't take up places for all sorts of reasons.

drspouse Sun 08-May-16 21:40:35

We're 3rd on the list for a 60 entry, our town has quite high movement, we're about .15 miles outside the original limits for the school and we're also appealing (new medical info we didn't have when applying).

We're reasonably optimistic, we might put DS in nursery for an extra half term if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now