Do you think this is a bit too far?!?!

(17 Posts)
Dollygirl2008 Wed 04-May-16 10:50:31

Hi, I'm helping out with the Summer fete (primary) to help move on from a rubbish year and I was thinking of doing some kind of "spa" tent - I just wanted your opinions please.

Face painting always has a long queue and always brings the money in, so a couple of people at least doing that would be great. So then I was thinking of building on that and offering a kind of "nail bar" where the little ones could have nails painted. Also thought of the little wash of tattoos as I don't want to be gender specific. Hair styles with glitter spray etc. I was thinking of a gazebo with fairy lights and maybe a sun lounger where they could lay down whilst I use my electric massager on them. I know that my DC (7) went to a "spa party" a few weeks ago, and goodness, they loved it!!!!

Just wondered what you thought or if you think it could be deemed slightly inappropriate? Also, any other spa type ideas?

PatriciaHolm Wed 04-May-16 10:55:55

We have done nails/tattoos before but not the spa idea; both boys and girls love having the tattoos, particularly, and I can see how the spa idea would put a lot of them off, especially the older ones.

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 04-May-16 11:06:09

I guess I'm completely out of touch. That sounds really -oh gosh, what's the word- naff, inappropriate are too strong, but a spa ish session for children at a school fete seems kind of wrong to me.

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-May-16 11:07:09

Nails, tattoos, hair all fine, but not the sun lounger thing I think

NynaevesSister Wed 04-May-16 11:07:35

Yes we do that and call it the beauty hub. We also get in private individuals to do henna and massage for a percentage of their takings.

I would recommend more than two people doing the face painting though if you can.

Balletgirlmum Wed 04-May-16 11:08:05

Something similar went down a storm at dss school fair last year. It was

MsMargaretCarter Wed 04-May-16 11:10:41

Nail painting pointless as no child will want to sit waiting for it to dry

Massager frankly a bit odd but I hate massages anyway so could be biased

Tattoos, face painting and hair styles brilliant but maybe consider how to manage queues as that's always the most frustrating thing

Dollygirl2008 Wed 04-May-16 11:30:40

NynaevesSister and Balletgirlmum, I would be really interested in hearing more of what your "hubs" have to offer - it sounds brilliant.

MMmm yes, I think you're all right about the massage bit - perhaps not - I don't want to get a reputation of being a weird parent....!

Pootles2010 Wed 04-May-16 11:36:17

Do not use an electric massager on other people's kids!!! shockhmmgrin yes you will be the wierd parent!

All the other ideas are great though smile apart from fairy lights- you won't be able to tell they're on outside on a sunny day.

Dollygirl2008 Wed 04-May-16 11:39:16

hahaha yeah I know!!!! I guess I just thought that every time we go to the shopping centre, my daughter heads for those massive massage chairs that cost a pound. I suppose there's a difference between those and my little handheld massager (can I just express that it looks like a massager and nothing something else......blush

TeenAndTween Wed 04-May-16 12:09:42

I agree fairy lights difficult if you are outside. Electricity access and trailing leads are a hazard.

We do face painting, temp tattoos and nails if we get the volunteers. Also hair braiding can be good. Also agree, massage seems a bit weird.

EarthboundMisfit Wed 04-May-16 14:45:49

You could use the LED fairy lights which come with a battery pack and a short, thin lead.

BlossomBlossom6 Wed 04-May-16 14:59:32

We have a salon at our girl's Christmas fair and they all love it. A line of mothers do the nails, kid's nail polish dries really quickly but they do have to sit still for 30 secs after they are done. They can get their hair curled or straightened I think.

MattDillonsPants Wed 04-May-16 15:15:26

We have massage at our school's fair. It's in a dedicated tent by professionals....they only do shoulder and head massages...but it's very popular.

RueDeWakening Wed 04-May-16 15:24:01

Our school does face painting and glitter tattoos (popular with both boys and girls), both bring in a fair amount of money. Some of the year 6 girls did a craft bar where they helped younger ones make personalised bracelets or bookbag charms, that was popular too - just letter beads and a few spacer beads threaded onto elastic I think.

Seryph Wed 04-May-16 17:51:13

I'll second getting a henna artist in, I used to do it and kids love it (boys and girls) just make sure that whoever you get knows what they are doing and makes their own henna (or at least can tell you all the ingredients)
Henna ingredients should be limited to:
henna leaf powder
a liquid like tea, lemon juice or water
maybe some sugar
maybe an essential oil like lavender

If there's anything else don't use that artist.

wonderpants Wed 04-May-16 17:56:20

We train up some year 6's to do face painting (they love the responsibility and are really quite good at it). We do tattoos.
It isn't spa like, just a long queue and frantic face painting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now