Worms - would you tell the school?

(18 Posts)
Ginmummy1 Tue 03-May-16 21:40:17

We've just discovered this evening that DD (aged 5) appears to have worms - first time for us. We've all taken a tablet and I'm cleaning/washing everything and following all the hygiene measures etc.

Should we tell the school? The NHS website advises that we should, and I want to do the right thing. Do I send her in with a letter for her teacher? Or do I phone the school?

Do I encourage DD to tell others, and remind them to wash their hands often etc.? (she's the sort to take this sort of 'job' seriously, and I am confident she will be fastidious - she's that sort!). I am a bit worried, however, that she might get teased or something?

Andbabymakesthree Tue 03-May-16 21:42:12

I'd ring school and let them know in a matter of fact wat so they can up hygiene and notify class to check and treat.

Tbh so many parents don't and its so contagious I really wish they would!

HoppingForward Tue 03-May-16 21:44:09

Yes, please let the school know.

Palomb Tue 03-May-16 21:45:32

I have done twice and the school have done nothing. No letter or anything so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

We get nit letters every other day but never had a worm letter.

Hassled Tue 03-May-16 21:47:46

Tell the school and they may well do an equivalent of the standard nits letter - "we are aware that there are several cases of nits in class 2B and advise that you check your child's hair thoroughly" etc - so a) making it plural even if it's only one case and b) not disclosing the source of the problem. They'll be tactful and discreet about it, don't worry. If it would reassure you, ring them and say "I'm sure you'll be discreet...".

PenguinsAreAce Tue 03-May-16 21:49:58

No. They are endemic (e.g. In play dough and sand pits). Loads of parents don't notice and some people don't get the itching, so are essentially symptom free. Treat them when the kids have them, keep fingernails short and teach good hand hygiene.

Some terms one of mine has had them three times <weeps>

ManonCrempog Tue 03-May-16 21:51:45

My DS ran into school screaming "I've got wriggly worms in my bum!" Saved me having to tell the teacher... grin

janethegirl2 Tue 03-May-16 21:55:30

When my DC were little, I think the statistics were something like 40% of primary kids would get worms, can't remember if this was once or would have worms at any given time. I wormed them and us every 6 months just like puppies.
With good hygiene, you will self clear worms anyway.

Ginmummy1 Tue 03-May-16 21:58:19

Manon - I think DD might be like this too - in fact, she'll probably sit a group of children down and teach them about the life cycle of the threadworm...

If at least some of you think I should tell the school, I will.

Dungandbother Tue 03-May-16 22:23:51

Our school send a generic letter same as nits.

Do tell. I hate the parents that ignore. At least I know to be on the look out when school do generic letters.

cariadlet Tue 03-May-16 22:53:49

Do tell - I've got a standard letter I send out if parents tell me about it. Don't worry about your dd being teased. 5 year olds are very matter of fact about nits and worms. It's the parents that are embarrassed.

springtimevintagedream Tue 03-May-16 22:54:43

Probably not to be honest. People are so ridiculous about worms and I'd rather my child wasn't the subject of staff room gossip!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 03-May-16 22:56:36

Our school sent a letter similar to the nit letter with a leaflet on how to deal with them but only after 2 separate families had reported them "my DD and her friend had them) so I would tell them

Johnny5isAlive Tue 03-May-16 23:04:07

We got the letter last week advising a child in reception had worms. Made me itch just reading it blush

Johnny5isAlive Tue 03-May-16 23:06:14

Sorry - my comment wasn't meant to be as pointless as it came across. I think tell them, it's probably so regular that teachers won't bat an eyelid. Kids find it fascinating

springtimevintagedream Tue 03-May-16 23:07:25

Kids also have memories, and while they are common they are nonetheless a topic of revulsion.

Not for me to be broadcasting my child's embarrassing medical conditions!

makingmiracles Tue 03-May-16 23:17:52

Hmm, never had a letter from any of the 3dcs and as far as I'm aware all three have never had them.

They live in play dough?? Boak!!

Witchend Tue 03-May-16 23:25:56

No. Apparently over half of under 10s have worms at any one point in time. So the chance of no one in a class having it at any point is pretty low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now