KS2 SATS?

(10 Posts)
The2Ateam Sun 24-Apr-16 15:25:16

Are all year groups in key stage 2 taking stats this year? Or have I misunderstood!

BetweenTwoLungs Sun 24-Apr-16 15:27:11

You have misunderstood - just year 6 do SATs.

Your school may do some other form of assessment/test in the other year groups, but they are not the official sats.

LadyPenelope68 Sun 24-Apr-16 15:34:41

In most schools, optional SATs will be taken by all keycstage 2 groups, but the main ones that aren't optional are the Year 6 SATs

bsmirched Sun 24-Apr-16 15:38:40

I'd be surprised if schools are still doing optional SATs in years 3 - 5 as they're based on the old curriculum and give results in levels.

The2Ateam Sun 24-Apr-16 15:42:39

Hmmm? My daughter's school newsletter suddenly has a listing dates for KS2 SATS and the subjects! She's in year
3!

LadyPenelope68 Sun 24-Apr-16 15:46:00

I teach in a primary and we're doing optional ones.

The2Ateam Sun 24-Apr-16 15:49:58

As in the school opt to do them?

spanieleyes Sun 24-Apr-16 16:00:37

The SATS are known as KS2 SATS because they test the curriculum up to the end of KS2, just as the KS1 SATS test the curriculum up to the end of KS1. That doesn't mean that the whole of KS2 sit them, they are just taken by Year 6 ( although as other posters have said, schools might opt to test children in other year groups as well) Some schools have the optional tests in the same week as the statutory ones, most schools leave them as late as possible!
Schools should not however be using the old "Optional SATS papers as they are not related to the new curriculum, but there are plenty of alternatives available

The2Ateam Sun 24-Apr-16 16:03:09

Thank you, that makes sense x

mrz Sun 24-Apr-16 17:12:12

I would guess the school have sent out a general newsletter and expect parents to know about KS2 so haven't explained.
There aren't any optional SATs for the new curriculum so schools might be using the old ones but it's a pointless waste of time as they don't match new expectations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now