KS2 Literacy - what is a Word Picture?

(8 Posts)
noAccounting Thu 21-Apr-16 17:28:59

My son is stuck on this question of a KS2 Comprehension paper, based on a Dick King-Smith text called "The Invisible Dog":

"Use the facts that you have discovered as well as your imagination to write a word picture of Mrs Garrow"

Can anyone explain what it means by a Word Picture in this context? Is it one of those things people generate to show the dominance of particular words in their blogs? (If so I didn't realise they were part of the KS2 curriculum now).

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Apr-16 17:43:10

I haven't got a clue what a word picture is, but I imagined something to describe her with words?
Have you read this book? Mrs Garrow is a quite interesting character in this book, and I still remember the story even though my ds read to me few years ago. And book itself is part of young puffin, so targeted at a lot younger than yr6 children, very simple, short book.

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Apr-16 17:51:06

Sorry you didn't say yr6, I just thought KS2 comprehension = SATS.

noAccounting Thu 21-Apr-16 18:02:36

He's in Year 4 and has the comprehension for homework.

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Apr-16 20:20:30

This book is really easy book. 80 pages long with lots of pictures and large letters. My ds read in Yr1. I don't think yr4 child have any difficulty understanding text itself. I think he just need to use some imagination.

TeenAndTween Thu 21-Apr-16 21:29:35

I would expect it to mean "Describe Mrs Garrow using the facts given and your imagination" as in paint a picture using words

Purplerainbow2 Thu 21-Apr-16 21:34:12

It's vivid description through words.

ineedaholidaynow Thu 21-Apr-16 21:35:46

You are meant to base your answer on what you can gather from the text and your imagination, rather than from the book as a whole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now