List of schools with places still available.

(4 Posts)
MrsBimbles Mon 18-Apr-16 16:55:37

Hi, my daughter has just got a place at Reception which wasn't one of our chosen schools (they must have been all full), but for a pretty bad school to be honest.

We are relocating to the area, and I would like my son to go to the same school as my daughter (he's due to go into Year 2 in Sep). I phoned our council admissions department and she said there were schools with places both for reception and Year 2 other than the one my daughter had been offered, then said I should send them an email. She did rattle off a list of schools she could see on her computer, but I was too slow to note them all down!

Is there a list of schools with places still left anywhere on line? Or do I have to wait to hear from the council? I don't want to have to be in a position where I'm applying for another school for my daughter and second guessing which one she'll get into so my son can apply there too. I think any other school will be better than the one my daughter has been given!

It's so difficult! Can anyone help or will the council be helpful do you think? Will they give me a list?

Thanks

MrsBimbles Mon 18-Apr-16 16:57:33

Could I email the nearby schools directly and ask if they have spaces?

tiggytape Mon 18-Apr-16 17:20:55

You can ask but the situation tends not to be static. Even if they have a place today, they may not have that same place by the time you move and they cannot keep spaces reserved indefinitely. When you accept a place, they generally expect a child to start more or less immediately (because other people may come along who have already completed their house move and need a place).

The council obviously have a fair idea of schools that look likely to have a whole list with possible spaces though so maybe email them and ask them to give you the names

JinRamen Mon 18-Apr-16 17:22:33

There should be a vacancies list somewhere on your council website. Ours is updated weekly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now