What age are compulsory swimming lessons from?

(7 Posts)
MigraineMartie Tue 12-Apr-16 18:00:21

Daughter due to start school in September and they start swimming lessons at the local leisure centre in the Easter term of reception.
I wasn't planning to send my daughter as she is terrified of swimming, we have tried her many times with various instructors, one to one lessons; the works, before taking her out for the time being.
But according to my neighbour they are now compulsory for reception aged children, is she right?
Worried

ThomasRichard Tue 12-Apr-16 18:02:36

Not at my son's school they're not. I thought it was part of the curriculum in year 5?

She might do better if she's going with her friends and teachers though.

dementedpixie Tue 12-Apr-16 18:03:33

At my kids school they only get one 12 week block of swimming in primary 5 (age around 9/10). Can't imagine the hassle in taking a bunch of 4/5 year olds swimming, sounds like hard work!

saltlakecity Tue 12-Apr-16 18:50:57

The expectation is that they can swim 25m by the end of y6. There are no year groups that HAVE to go swimming as long as the above expectation is met.

mrz Tue 12-Apr-16 18:51:39

There isn't an age, schools can choose when they teach swimming.

my2bundles Wed 13-Apr-16 11:52:19

They are normally allocated one term within their primary education. This is usually not before year 4.

Gizlotsmum Wed 13-Apr-16 12:02:25

Daughters school have own pool so swimming lessons start in summer of reception year and continue for summer term of each year. Other local school has own pool and from reception they swim daily from summer term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now