ASD friendly independent pre-prep/prep school in West/North Yorkshire or Nottinghamshire?

(7 Posts)
Laurajay84 Fri 08-Apr-16 12:30:14

We are currently researching education options for our twin boys, one of whom has ASD, who are almost 3. We feel that our DS with ASD will benefit from the small class sizes and less overwhelming environment.

Does anybody know of any pre-prep/prep schools that are ASD friendly, either in West/North Yorkshire or Nottinghamshire?

Thanks for any advice

Smudger35 Fri 08-Apr-16 13:11:26

I can't specifically comment on ASD but as a friendly non-selective pre-prep, I'd look at Worksop College Prep at Ranby. Class sizes are kept to a max of 18 and the nursery teacher and her assistant, in particular, are exceptional. They both really know my kids as individuals and respond to them accordingly. There's a Forest School on site and the nursery and reception kids spend at least one afternoon a week there.
Hope that helps.

Hoppinggreen Fri 08-Apr-16 20:48:28

Also look at Huddersfield Grammar Prep and also Heathfield ( near Halifax)

Laurajay84 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:51:58

Thank you Smudger, I will take a look at Ranby.

Hopping, do you have experience of these schools? Do you know whether they will cater for ASD children?

Smudger35 Sat 09-Apr-16 07:41:31

Ackworth School is also probably worth a look if you'd prefer West Yorkshire. I've no direct experience of it but I've heard good things about its inclusivity.

defineme Sat 09-Apr-16 07:52:09

I know Dagfa school in Beeston, Nottingham is non selective and has very small classes in the lower years. It definitely has children on the spectrum, but I have no idea if they cater for children with a high level of sn.

Hoppinggreen Sun 10-Apr-16 15:16:40

Both the schools I mention are non selective and have a nurturing reputation.
I am familiar with both but not with regards to ASD specifically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now