Best place to buy 1 Inch Name Labels (ID Tags)

(48 Posts)
Alice1221 Wed 06-Apr-16 15:56:33

Hello, everyone.

Its that time of year again, ''ugh'', where the school has required that the pupils have 1 inch name labels sewn onto the outside of all their sports kit, bags and coats for the Summer Term (they also said this in the first term but I sort of ignored it - now, I feel I should as other parents have clearly done it as well). So, does anyone know the best places to buy these 1 inch name labels from? Has anyone bought them in the past and so has any tips or advice for where to sew these and their usefulness (I am thinking of labelling all his clothes with these labels)? Thank you

Best regards,

Alice

Alice1221 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:34:54

Anyone?

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Wed 06-Apr-16 22:40:26

Cash's name tapes - the extra large labels

Alice1221 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:46:30

are these ones good - have you tried them yourselves? I know there are many companies which sell them so I just want to choose the best one.

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Wed 06-Apr-16 23:02:05

Cash's have been going for years. You need the sew on labels - yes we have used them

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Wed 06-Apr-16 23:03:27

Your school may have instructions as to where to sew on school kit (ours does) e.g left side chest etc.)

Alice1221 Wed 06-Apr-16 23:16:45

So @Hotcrossbunsandcheese, would you say that the cashs ones are good quality labels? If possible, do you think you could (privately) message me a picture of them just so I can see for myself what they look like?

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Wed 06-Apr-16 23:27:55

If you just google cash's labels this gives a very good idea. Hope this helps

Arkwright Thu 07-Apr-16 07:03:56

Cash's labels have been around for years. They are fantastic quality. My Mum still has some of mine and my brothers in her sewing box which have been re-used multiple times throughout primary and secondary school. I have them for my Dd's now.

BertrandRussell Thu 07-Apr-16 07:10:00

What's the difference between a good quality label and a less good quality one?

JeanSeberg Thu 07-Apr-16 07:13:06

jjcash.co.uk

Arkwright Thu 07-Apr-16 07:14:21

I ordered some cheap ones to label my Dd's brownie things from ebay. The ends are fraying and the red stitching has come undone too. Maybe I was just unlucky but the Cash's ones my Dd's have had since playgroup have never been like that and I have re-used them each time.

Alice1221 Thu 07-Apr-16 09:08:04

Would everyone here say that these extra large name labels are good for labelling clothes and belongings? My idea is that I am going to sew them onto the outside of all sports kit (as required by the school), bags and coats. Would you recommend sewing these into home clothes as well so that these don't go missing (my son has an annoying tendency to lose new expensive clothes I buy for him very easily)?

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 09:51:43

I wouldn't put 1" labels on home clothes, they would be as large if not larger than the care labels already in the clothes. We use Stikins (from Ebay not from the website - different companies I think) stuck to the care label for all our DCs' clothes (as they are both in nursery so everything goes to nursery). I will continue to use those for regular clothes that are going to e.g. Cub camp.

One tip I have heard for e.g. expensive coats (probably on MN) is to write along the inside of the sleeve in Sharpie, as there are tales of Boden and other pricey brand coats having the name label taken out by someone who fancies that coat.

Or, have a DS with mad clothes taste who will have a coat that nobody else could possibly have, so anyone that steals it will never be able to wear it to school.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 09:53:31

Oh I also put my mobile number on all clothes labels. I've got a couple of wellies dropped out of the buggy back that way...

Alice1221 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:57:48

The school also requested that shoes (specifically trainers) be named clearly on the outside. I am thinking of just sewing the 1 inch name label around the heel of the shoe although I have spoken to other mums who put the name label on the along the side of the shoe (right side for right foot, left for left). How would you label shoes on the outside; I am sort of stuck with what to do?

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:15:39

I would put two Stikins on each one - one outside, one inside. Or Sharpie initials outside and Stikin inside. The outside one will fall off but at least you've tried.

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Thu 07-Apr-16 14:59:51

I haven't had a request to label trainers on the outside - only sports clothing. Our school gives very specific guidance on where the labels should be placed (and what font/size/colour the label should be..)

Alice1221 Thu 07-Apr-16 19:43:06

Would anyone be willing to send (private message) me a photo of one of these labels so I can see what the Cash's ones actually look like.

Alice1221 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:45:24

So my ideas so far is this (by the school's requests to have these certain items labelled on the outside)

Bags - 1 inch name label sewn onto the outside on the back in centre.
Coats - 1 inch name label sewn on the outside across the right top of the coat (right breast).
Shoes - 1 inch name label sewn onto the outside of the shoe across side of shoe (right side for right, left for left).

Do you think this is good?

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Thu 07-Apr-16 22:38:21

Do you have contact details for any other parents at your school? They may be able to assist where exactly they should go

Alice1221 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:40:55

That is a good idea! I will contact them and see what they think...

Alice1221 Fri 08-Apr-16 17:10:18

Anyone?

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Apr-16 17:14:19

Alice- I do think you might be making this more complicated than it is. And I'm not quite sure what you still need to know?

If it's a private school, there will probably be something on the website about exactly where they want the labels. If it's a state school, then they are unlikely to be really strict- they just want stuff labelled.

PandasRock Fri 08-Apr-16 17:17:46

We have to have 1inch labels on outside of sports kit. We have specific places to sew the labels, set out in the uniform policy.

Normal uniform is labelled using standard size name tapes, sewn inside.

We have specific labels that we have to use (specified size and colour combination) from easy2name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now