KS2 SATS 2016

(23 Posts)
spkidwell Mon 21-Mar-16 21:51:24

Is your child a bright dyslexic pupil who is at risk of being labelled a failure at 11? www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-new-writing-assessments-will-penalise-bright-dyslexic

Washediris Mon 21-Mar-16 22:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Feenie Mon 21-Mar-16 22:02:47

I posted a thread about this story a couple of weeks ago:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2590421-Emphasis-on-spelling-ignorant-and-cruel?

spkidwell Mon 21-Mar-16 22:21:40

There needs to be a legal challenge, referencing the DDA, from a parent of dyslexic or dyspraxic child.

Washediris Mon 21-Mar-16 22:24:46

soimpressed Mon 21-Mar-16 22:29:18

My DS is already worrying about his SATs because he thinks his handwriting will prevent him from achieving the level he should get. He suffers from hyper mobility.

Teuta Mon 21-Mar-16 22:30:05

Hi All,

I recently moved to RICHMOND and I really need private tuitions in English and Maths for my son (7 years old, year 2). Please let me know if you know someone? I would really appreciate your assistance.

Washediris Mon 21-Mar-16 22:34:06

irvine101 Tue 22-Mar-16 19:04:27

I have a question please!
On maths arithmetic paper, when there is only one mark, do you get points if the answer is right, or do you lose points if you don't show working out?
eg. 1440 / 12 or 7,505 / 5 (The question which doesn't specifically ask for showing working.)

Basically, I am asking if you did calculation mentally and didn't show working out, do you lose points, or do you still get points as long as answer is correct?

spanieleyes Tue 22-Mar-16 19:10:32

if the answer is correct, you get the mark, whether you show working out or not.
On the 2 mark questions, you would get two marks for the correct answer, regardless of working out. You would get 1 mark for the wrong answer but with evidence of a formal method but with one minor error( although generally not with an error in place value)

BabyGanoush Tue 22-Mar-16 19:18:40

Parents really need to chill out a bit about SATs

It is causing great anxiety in children.

No child is labeled a failure. Secondary schools take sats levels with a HUGE pinch of salt.

It's a mass hysteria thing, so unnecessary. Who makes sats so important?!

(And I have a dyslexic son in y6. And another dyslexic one in year 9)

Washediris Tue 22-Mar-16 19:23:12

irvine101 Tue 22-Mar-16 19:26:56

Thank you spanieleyes.

irvine101 Tue 22-Mar-16 19:31:34

My ds is in YR3. But ds's teacher said he would lose points on KS2 SATs ,if he doesn't show working out, at parents eve. Hence the question.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 22-Mar-16 19:42:08

On the 2 mark questions, you would get two marks for the correct answer, regardless of working out. You would get 1 mark for the wrong answer but with evidence of a formal method but with one minor error( although generally not with an error in place value)

Which leads to a rather interesting situation. Given that most errors in long multiplication/division are probably likely to be place value ones, you would be better off teaching children that regularly make those mistakes a failsafe alternative method. It would at least give them a chance of getting 2 marks rather than attempting the formal one and getting 0.

I'm not sure that was what the DfE were aiming for really.

BabyGanoush Tue 22-Mar-16 19:54:19

Washediris, in the schools I know it is nowhere near as important as parents think.

Kids get moved around sets, predicted grades are adjusted.

Most importantly, parents freaking out causes massive anxiety in their kids.

it's unhealthy

Feenie Tue 22-Mar-16 19:59:19

predicted grades are adjusted.

Nope, the dfe targets are NOT adjusted.

And from Dec 2017, they will form everything about the Autumn term as schools prepare children children for resits.

JustCallMeDory Tue 22-Mar-16 19:59:51

I would have been absolutely sunk if this had been the case when I was at primary school. I was, am, and always will be hopeless at spelling, and it wasn't until my mid 20s (a few years graduating with an MA from a Russel Group university) that I was diagnosed as dyslexic.

The new rules are making me incredibly angry and sad for those kids, like me, who were fairly smart but dyslexic.

caroldecker Tue 22-Mar-16 20:12:05

So they re-sit and fail again - totally irrelevant. Schools have end of term/year exams throughout school, which they do well/badly in, as well as tests in between.
None of these are relevant to their future.
The only ones that matter, to the children are GCSE and A level.

WeDoNotSow Tue 22-Mar-16 20:24:10

My DCs school told us not to worry about it, and that's it's more the teachers being tested than the kids...
I'm a bit concerned though still, DS has been assessed for dyspraxia, they said he came back as average although for certain areas he scored really low.
His handwriting is really bad, and he's always getting letters/numbers the wrong way round, yet they said he scored 'above average' in the dyslexia test?!?

mrz Tue 22-Mar-16 20:27:39

Reversing letters and numbers aren't a sign of dyslexia it's a common thing

WeDoNotSow Tue 22-Mar-16 20:32:22

mrz Yes, his teacher said that to me and not to worry, but said she still wants him to have a different test done, but have to wait until he is 8 for that.

Vixie84 Mon 09-May-16 19:37:21

My son has problems and he did the reading sats really well without help
Will see how he gets on tomoz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now