Plan of action for children 'below' required standards?

(17 Posts)
WillowRobin Tue 15-Mar-16 14:03:45

We're looking for some advice please on what to do. At a recent parents evening we were told our son was 'Below' where he should be in literacy. Obviously as caring parents of a happy and cheerful boy that concerns us, but what was most dissapointing was that the teacher did not seem concerned and didn't suggest a plan of action of how to get him up to where he should be. Instead she blamed him for not asking for help if he doesn't understand the instructions and for being slow to complete pieces of literacy work or hasn't written anything by the end of the session. He is a shy and quiet boy and not likely to put his hand up to ask for help.
We went home and chatted to him - of course, we didn't tell him the verdict on his literacy ability, but just asked about literacy in general (after telling him how great his work was and how much effort he is putting in). He said he gets sat between two boys who are 'naughty' and they poke him and distract him so he can't always get on with his work.
I mentioned this to the teacher and the response again blamed him - that he should be telling if this was happening. We are livid and feel that the teacher doesn't care. It's an outstanding school but this particular teacher does not have a great reputation. We've always given the teacher the benefit of the doubt and my first port of call would always be to work with the teacher to help my son - in a way that means he doesn't feel any pressure. However, I don't think the teacher is approachable for us or my son and we're tempted to contact the headteacher or senco as we are so unhappy and worried our son is going to drop behind. However, he has this teacher for the rest of the year so we don't want him to have a bad time and ruin his enjoyment of school.
Anyone with similar problems have any good advice? Thanks in advance!

irvine101 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:09:17

What year group?

WillowRobin Tue 15-Mar-16 14:12:43

Year 3

irvine101 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:24:19

I think it might sound harsh, but I have to agree with teacher, at yr3.
She has other 29 children to look after, so it's impossible to keep an eye on your dc all the time. Or is it a private school which has less number of children in the class?
I think first step is to make him confident so he can raise his hands in the class when he needs to.

WillowRobin Tue 15-Mar-16 14:50:41

Thank you, we will also work on that with him.

WillowRobin Tue 15-Mar-16 14:54:16

Am I unreasonable to at least expect an agreed plan of action to get him to where he should be though? Or should the school have some additional support? This is the first time since starting school he has fallen below standard required.

momtothree Tue 15-Mar-16 14:58:22

I work in a y3 class

We have the last 4 weeks worked on strawberries - we have made milkshakes looked at how they are grown products there are in we are growing some we have used chocolate we have had interesting facts etc

So they need to write a book

It must have

A title sub heading picture caption interesting facts follow the growing harvesting process and what they can make with strawberries

On child quiet shy has had my attention all week - day one wrote a heading day two put two pictures in day 3 wrote strawberries are nice - that's it 4 weeks

Now he could tell me what he needed to write but can't write it -

I ask him to "now you need to show how they grow "

But he doesn't

Each lesson is 40 minuets - this is what he will be graded on - which is basically nothing!!

Others have got on with it -

I would, now you know ask for the criteria for what they are working on

So if it's a formal letter

Dear Sir

Date address opening paragraph middle paragraph ending. Etc.

The subject is irrelevant .... It's how it's written

irvine101 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:59:26

No, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask school for support. But also you can ask the teacher what you can do at home to help him too. 5~10 minutes 1 - 1 support at home everyday might make huge difference.

whatsitallabout1 Wed 16-Mar-16 15:58:21

Are you totally clear on the assessment system your school are using? At ours the year 3s will be judged against where they should be at the end of the year so many will still currently be "working towards" rather than "within" or "mastery". The fact that he hasn't yet achieved all the year 3 curriculum targets yet does not necessarily mean he won't have by the end of the year...

CheeseAndOnionWalkers Wed 16-Mar-16 16:17:28

This year they changed the levels. For your child to be ok they need to be achieving within expected levels at the end of the year.
Is your son likely to make it in 4 months?
If not how far away is he? Y2 level? Y1 level?

IdealWeather Wed 16-Mar-16 16:30:56

There is a few issues there for me.

For one, I would want to know how much behind he is, is it Y2 level, Y1 or 'a bit behind to what we would expect'?

Then I would want to know what I could do with him at home, ie an action plan of what you could do together. I did that with dc2 when he wasd in Y1, that was working really great. The teacher told me he needed to do x and y. I worked with dc2, let her know when we had finished and any issue I had seen (some of which she hadn't had the time to notice)

I think you might have an issue with 'a quiet, shy child'. Again, only my experience but these are the children who end up usually near the more 'disturbing' children (They don't make a fuss about being poked for example) and it means it's usually easier on a class managemnet pov. These are also the children that don't attract attention so they get forgotten.
Now of course, the teacher should be giving them the same amount of attention, esp if they have some issues with xx but...
I disagree with pp about the fact it's normal because she has another 29 children to look after. Good teachers will pick up on these quiet children who don't raise their hands up when they struggle. The less good ones will blame the child....

I wouldn't ask for a plan of action as such but I would ask for very clear guidance as to hwat you can do with him, exercises she would advise and then tell her that you WILL review his progress in 6 weeks time to see how things are going. Or better if she is actually open to 'work as a team', do some work, give her some feedback and take it from there.

ElsieMc Wed 16-Mar-16 20:09:33

Momtothree - you say you work in a Yr 3 class. Are you a TA or a teacher? Although I will probably get flamed for saying so, your grammar and punctuation do leave a lot to be desired, particularly when you are using, in your own words, an example of a quiet and shy child producing insufficient quality work. Perhaps I am being harsh as this experience is very close to home for our family.

I moved my GS from his primary school where he had an action plan which was chaotic, unstructured and monitored by unqualified staff, but had lost confidence in the school in general. I was told it was down to him, but the move has shown me that that was not the case. This was backed up by his Occupational Therapist.

I would say his literature is still below standard for his new school, but it is so, so much better than it was. Sometimes it is a confidence issue and I do feel he is moving on. His new teacher is not particularly warm, but is good, enthusiastic and fairly recently qualified. You sound caring and it is always difficult when you get a teacher who does not seem to understand or support your child.

WillowRobin Wed 16-Mar-16 21:02:54

Thanks for all the comments. In answer to our questions, I believe he's just below where he is expected to be at this stage in year 3.
We're of course more than happy to provide support at home and work with the teacher. We don't want to pressure him and erode his happy go lucky cheerful self so would want to do it in a way he doesn't realise it's 'learning' though. We'll take your advice on board when we next talk to teacher, thanks IdealWeather!
We've never had to do this with our other son though - perhaps he has been luckier with teachers and support staff he has had or naturally more academic at an earlier age?

whatsitallabout1 Thu 17-Mar-16 11:11:51

The new curriculum is more challenging and more is expected. It is much harder to be "beyond expectations", so it could be that ds2 is actually at a very similar level to ds1 at same age.

irvine101 Thu 17-Mar-16 11:33:28

I agree with whatsitallabout1. Current yr3 were taught old NC until last year, and now need to close the gap in YR3. There seems to be a lot of thread started by worried yr3 parents.

mouldycheesefan Thu 17-Mar-16 13:18:10

Definitely work on his confidence if he won't put his hand up and if he won't speak to the teacher that is going to cause all sorts of issues over the years. Drama is great for kids confidence.
Focus on literacy at home, praise him and boost his confidence.
I don't agree with the approach that he shouldn't realise it's learning- why not? I like my children to realise they are learning! But if that is the route you want to go down can he write letters, instructions, stories, postcards, send emails, there are lots of online story websites etc

irvine101 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:32:25

I agree with mouldycheesefan. He is YR3. Maybe he is getting to the stage where he should takes school work more seriously? "He shouldn't realise it's learning" seems to me more a infant stage approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now