non-academic "teaching" in YR / KS1

(12 Posts)
fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 13-Mar-16 19:50:37

DD is in YR, she's enjoying it, and very happy, teacher reports are all very good, she's doing very well despite being one of the youngest, both in reading/writing/maths and on the social development side of things, I'd probably rather she was in trouble more than she reports.

I've noticed that a lot of other parents in the school, and on here, are mostly obsessed with reading and maths progress, even when the child is already ahead of most peers, but I was wondering what, if any specific, sort of teaching happens to improve other areas of abilities.

I imagine lots of the games will improve/practice some reasoning skills, and talking about the world and themselves at show&tell will be good for getting the knowledge to apply and long term memory.

But what about things like improving working memory and processing speeds, or processing sounds / visual things. Are there any exercises done for these things?

If not, is that because they've shown them to not really be improvable, or because the reading/writing/maths normally consume most of the resources of a YR kid?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 13-Mar-16 19:55:11

They look at grips and fine motor skills speaking and listening skills sitting still listening

They will be looking for social interaction joining in taking part

Computer skills

Imagination

Also emotional skills and work ethic

Behavioural issues

Hearing or sight or speech therapy

They usually flag children up for special additional groups to help them catch up

mrz Sun 13-Mar-16 19:57:56

The Prime learning areas in reception are Communication and Language, Social and Emotional and Physical development not reading and writing or maths. Teachers will be planning for all curriculum areas and looking to support both strengths and weaknesses.

ButtonLoon Sun 13-Mar-16 20:00:40

My DD's class seem to spend a lot of time on social and emotional development. I'm so glad because DD is an only child who would read and do maths all day but at the start of the year had lots of social and emotional issues. School seems to have really helped her progress in those areas!

irvine101 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:04:34

I think kids in YR spend more time on other things than reading/writing/maths, at least at my ds's school.

Inkymess Sun 13-Mar-16 20:23:43

Our did lots of games and activities to get them to think, problem solve, remember things, listen carefully etc In our school it seemed to be about getting them ready for yr1 and more structured activity

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 13-Mar-16 20:40:23

I did say YR / KS1 in the title, but I was obviously not very good at asking the question, as I wasn't just interested in YR. I know more what is done there, and know how little reading/writing/maths is done there. But at the school gate / on here, the majority of parents are interested by progress in those few areas as well as the kid being happy.

mrz working memory, processing speed etc. don't appear on the curriculum though, but the research I beleive suggests they have a greater correlation with success later in life than year compared to when you start reading. So are there exercises specifically done to address these things?

KohINoorPencil Sun 13-Mar-16 21:02:52

Most of the activities in a good R/Yr1 classroom will cover a variety of areas. For example, phonics activities can very easily help improve working memory and numeracy and counting activities can help to improve fine motor skills.

I sense you have a hidden agenda with your posts. What exactly do you want to complain about?

irvine101 Sun 13-Mar-16 21:08:41

"I sense you have a hidden agenda with your posts."

I agree, Koh. I always feel like that when I read OP's post.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 13-Mar-16 21:10:41

I don't want to complain about anything! Other than possibly having to read lots of posts on here about other peoples obsessions with reading levels. Although that isn't really a specific complaint, people are free to worry about whatever they want.

I am honestly, and simply interested and was hoping to discover from those with experience of early teaching if those aspects of intelligence are explicitly covered, or as you say they are covered as part of other games/activities.

If I wasn't wanting to complain about DD's school, I could go for the four teachers she's had in two terms, or the broken bone, or all sorts I could cover, but they've been great.

Jesabel Sun 13-Mar-16 21:13:47

I don't think any specific "exercises" are done to promote those skills but they will be promoted in other lessons/games/activities. Maybe look at the "Characteristics of Effective Learning" in the EYFS too - things like pretend play, making connections, problem solving feature highly.

KohINoorPencil Sun 13-Mar-16 21:18:30

They aren't 'explicitly' covered in that we don't have 'working memory' hour or 'processing speed' on the timetable. That isn't how you improve a child's working memory or processing anyway. A child naturally develops in all of these things through good quality structured play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now