NQT

(15 Posts)
Topsy34 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:40:56

Ds has an NQT, the teacher started in September taking year 1 and 2 as a combined class, a total of 18 children.

He goes on lots of training courses, afternoons out of class for planning etc, but what is the norm for a NQT. The class has had 6 different teachers this week alone and ds is really unsettled.

Is this the norm for NQTs?

sky1010 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:51:23

One day out, usually split into a morning and an afternoon or two of each.

However, even as a qualified teacher- if I have a SEN with the local authorities, parents coming in to talk about behaviour or an array of training that week- that could easily clock up to five different adults in my classroom, especially when you consider the afternoon or morning out that all teachers have. It's rare, but sometimes it can be just one of those weeks.

Your sons teacher may have been ill and this may not have been communicated the the chn.

sky1010 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:51:38

*SEN meeting

irvine101 Fri 11-Mar-16 12:20:22

My ds had SLT(?) teacher last year, and NQT this year. They are always out for a lot of reasons. However, as long as someone is teaching my ds and he is learning at school, I am happy. But it's just me, some parents in my ds's class expressed some concerns. When a lot of teachers are leaving teaching, NQTs are treasure for the future, and they must need lots of training on the way.

Topsy34 Fri 11-Mar-16 16:22:55

Don't get me wrong, i think he is a great teacher and its fab he is getting training and support, it worries me that it's affecting ds.

He is bright but has been pushed a lot the past 2 weeks and is coming home stressed and unhappy.

I've booked an appointment with the head to find out more.

LemonadeTrade Fri 11-Mar-16 17:13:10

Interview time of year is just getting under way, especially for NQTs.

It could also be personal circumstances.

mrz Fri 11-Mar-16 17:13:31

It's normal for an NQT to have one day per week (half day PPA and half day NQT time).
All teachers have half a day PPA and all teachers attend training days. It could be as a new member of staff the teacher isn't familiar with specific programmes used by the school so needs training, this would be the same for any teacher not just a NQT.
I'm SLT (Senior Leadership Team), SENCO and Safeguarding Lead so there are times I feel I'm never in class.

irvine101 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:05:54

I can understand your concern. I hope you can get reassurance from HT.
Meanwhile, can't you make it exciting for your ds to have lots of different teachers? They must all have strength and weakness, so it maybe better to have MRS X for this and MR Y for that.

In my experience, children weren't caring so much about having different teachers, but parents were. But your case seems different, if he's stressed and unhappy about it.
Hope everything goes well. smile

Topsy34 Sat 12-Mar-16 21:16:26

I've tried to say that different teachers can be good as one will be more interesting at one thing and another at something else.

I am perfectly happy for the school to staff his class to ensure the best for my child and the class but it just doesnt feel right.

When i speak to him about it he will give me examples and one of the supply teachers (which according to his main teacher is 'quite mean and no one likes her') in particular seems to be an issue.

thanks all

mrz Sun 13-Mar-16 05:55:16

His main teacher has described a colleague as mean and said no one likes her? shock

irvine101 Sun 13-Mar-16 06:36:57

Yes, I was wondering that as well. It's unlikely that main teacher says his colleague is "mean and no one likes her", or if he did, he is out of order in my opinion. Or is it what your child said?

In KS1, my child really disliked one of TA who was in charge of one of after school club. Only reason he disliked her was she was a bit shouty, but to me, she was lovely. Only reason he was shouted at was because he didn't stop chatting! I can't think of any reason one of teacher in KS1 can be so mean without any reason?

Topsy34 Mon 14-Mar-16 06:09:59

Yes, to me. I was talking to the teacher about ds being worried and stressed and that he had highlighted in particular this one supply teacher.

He replied, 'yeah thats supply teachers, but she can be quite mean and none of the children like her' I must say I was quite taken aback, and struck me as very unprofessional to say, especially to a parent who is already on 'alert' (cant think of a better word!) for their child. I think from what ds has said is she is abrupt and shouty and this comes across as mean to DS (and obviously to his teacher too....).

irvine101 Mon 14-Mar-16 06:29:37

He is a NQT, and already talking about other teacher(who may be more experienced than him!) like that... shock

mrz Mon 14-Mar-16 06:46:07

Id be very concerned if he were my child's teacher or a member of my staff!

Topsy34 Tue 15-Mar-16 17:10:18

Saw the head teacher, she was really good, assured me that she wasn't happy with that many supply teachers either, but last week was 'an exceptional week of asessing both staff and children'

I spoke to her about the teacher and she agreed it was unprofessional and that even if something is thought it needn't always be said.

We are meeting again at the end of this week and then fortnightly until we are both happy that ds has resettled and is making the progress that he needs to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now