Y3 behind in maths, what should the school be doing? UPDATE

(4 Posts)
LeonardoAcropolis Thu 10-Mar-16 21:32:37

Hello, I have an update to my thread from January:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2559130-Y3-behind-in-maths-what-should-school-be-doing?msgid=59772470#59772470

I met with the teacher and she said that whilst the school has no extra support available, after a discussion we agreed that she'd ask the TA to take a step back and let him work by himself more.

For the last few weeks we have been doing extra work at home using a Schofield and Sims mental maths and times tables book, plus I found a nice Star Wars book by Scholastic. He plays games by Squeebles and Abacus (set by the school) on the tablet. A good friend of mine, a year 1 teacher, has sat with him a few times and reinforced some basics, and he enjoys this.

It has really paid off! He is so much more confident. He is able to add/subtract in his head and is even able to convert his times table knowledge into calculating a division problem smile. He is happier with maths too.

I spoke to his teacher briefly a couple of days ago, since last week she feels that she can let him work away from the support table during maths lessons as he is showing progress, but she put him back on the support table on Monday as they started a new maths topic. However, despite saying that the TA will step away from him, teacher says he still relies on her for support.

How might we encourage more independence?

LeonardoAcropolis Fri 11-Mar-16 16:44:12

Bump

irvine101 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:38:20

I am not a teacher. So what I think may be wrong.
If you are working closely with your dc's teacher, can you ask the teacher what they are covering in advance? If you are working with your dc at home, maybe you can give him a bit of head start, so he feels confident and can tackle what they are learning at school as well as revising? Even just a bit of knowledge of what he is learning might give him a great confidence that he can do it without help from TA?

Khan Academy has tutorial videos for every maths subject, so you can watch it in advance, maybe?

www.khanacademy.org/

LeonardoAcropolis Fri 11-Mar-16 22:02:55

Thanks Irvine, I'll look at that website tomorrow smile

I will ask teacher if she can tell me which subjects are coming up, not sure if she will though! It would be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now