Maths Apps for yr 1 child who's a bit behind

(27 Posts)
Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 06:50:23

She has got her report and it appears she's struggling with ordering numbers 1-20 (I did know this was a problem but not in context of how far behind she was) and finds maths work generally difficult. We have huge trouble carving out one on one time with her at home as she is middle child, me and DH work opposite shifts so parent solely most of the time and we have the world's most demanding jealous toddler who throws a tantrum anytime she sees me trying to give some attention to her sister (including attacking her, scratching her face, pulling her hair, its BAD)
Can anyone recommend any decent maths apps while I try to get my shit together to sort the toddler's behaviour. I suspect the main problem is none of them get enough individual attention.

irvine101 Sun 06-Mar-16 07:27:28

It's not an App, it's a website, but I recommend this one.

www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math/cc-early-math-counting-topic

It's a free website, and have video tutorials and quizzes for all maths subject.

Roonerspism Sun 06-Mar-16 07:30:39

We have the "one billion" maths app age 4 to 6. We tried others but DD really likes it.

You can email certificates when you complete a stage. This is a big hit. Lots of practice of numbers to 20, then 100.

My DD struggled with this too but it's clicking now.

jimblejambles Sun 06-Mar-16 07:53:03

My dc love sum dog.

Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 08:54:16

Brilliant thank you I will check those out. roonerspism that spuds particularly perfect

Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 08:54:34

sounds not spuds grin

Avebury Sun 06-Mar-16 09:01:54

Squeebles is great

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sun 06-Mar-16 09:54:10

Dragonbox "Numbers" App has got very good reviews for early years.

Kanga59 Sun 06-Mar-16 11:43:03

my son is 4 in reception and last year in nursery he worked his way through "Maths 3-5" and now he is working his way through "Maths 4-6". ipad apps. Red icons. would recommend

Ferguson Sun 06-Mar-16 19:12:37

Children find Maths difficult until they are helped to UNDERSTAND what numbers are all about.

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:
ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Roonerspism Sun 06-Mar-16 20:30:14

Thanks ferguson I think you are spot on about understanding the numbers.fir example, I said to six year old DD tonight "what is the number after 30?" and she said 40, because they were counting in tens last week. Parrot fashion learning isn't the way it seems. (Although it's how I learnt, and I'm pretty good at arithmetic but I digress).

I am going to try your number bonds above, especially the tens

I would still really recommend the app that I suggested above. I think it worked on understanding (although i clearly need to purchase the next but that goes to the higher numbers)

AgnesDiPesto Sun 06-Mar-16 21:27:04

try using montessori maths apps or ideas from pinterest - a more visual / hands on approach like counting straws, buttons etc can help (you can buy montessori materials but they are super expensive and you can easily get ideas to make your own)

Numicon is a resource schools should also have (or you can buy) which again gives a very visual approach

websites like cbeebies and poissonrouge

school should have smart board apps too e.g. numicon she can 'play'

Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 21:43:16

Thanks for the further comments, Roooner I bought that app and she has got her first certificate already and working towards the next. Both topics spot on and really helpful in showing her the meaning. Symmetry was the first topic and the next topic was numbers 10-20 and looks incredibly helpful. Pretty much visual representations of what you've said Ferguson. It's the same one Kanga mentioned.

Now if anyone knows a good app for yr 4 maths as my eldest wanted one for her level!

Roonerspism Sun 06-Mar-16 21:46:28

That's great sootica. That was my thought too - it tries to achieve proper understanding.

My DD loves doing it too so it's a result!

I'm going to buy some straws and work on counting beyond 30 with her. I will check out higher number counting on the app too

Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 22:15:26

AgnesDiPesto Just looking into Montessori maths things too. I think not being visual enough was where we went wrong at home smile. It's just struck home that there's loads of games and daily activities we do with the toddler where I can incorporate maths for the 5 yr old eg blocks and sharing eg grapes and toddler won't even realise my attention is being shared! I just need to start incorporating little maths lessons into daily games rather than think I have to sit at a table and teach with DD2 having just pen and paper. revelation!
Weirdly I AM getting this right with the 2 yr old and she's very interested in counting and shapes already

Sootica Sun 06-Mar-16 22:15:53

Rooner I had to wrestle it off her at bedtime grin

SweetGrapes Sun 06-Mar-16 22:20:05

DC's school has a school wide subscription to various websites - busythings.co.uk ; sumdog.com; rmeasimaths.co.uk

They are all quite good and dc's enjoy them. Check with your school and ask if they have anything.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 06-Mar-16 23:10:38

Get a numicon set £30 on Amazon - very visual -

Add odds evens takeaway one more one less times tables divide - doubles halves -

LardLizard Sun 06-Mar-16 23:15:09

Squebbles ?

sleeponeday Mon 07-Mar-16 08:16:28

DS loved Numberjacks - we bought the series for him. It tries to make maths concepts interesting, and it's a pain-free way for kids to absorb them. He also loved playing with the maths games on Starfall which are genuinely fun - it's a US homeschool site (secular, and not Creationist I should add!).

While I agree understanding is very important, so too is rote learning of the multiplication tables. We have a CD pretending to be by Percy Parker with a bunch of songs covering the various times tables, and DS now knows most of them to a reasonable level, fairly painlessly. We just play it in the car on a regular basis. It will help all three of yours, in fact.

LatinForTelly Mon 07-Mar-16 13:28:46

Partly posting to mark a space as I have a child who struggles with early maths concepts.

Also thought this might help: A game we found particularly helpful for understanding the concept of tens and units (DC couldn't understand the difference between 16 and 60 for example) was 'shark numbers' game, here . We used the cups rather than blocks. It really helped. I think it is also an app for ipad.

saggyboobs1 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:17:14

My son's school does RMeasimaths, which you can get at home too. He loves it.

noramum Mon 07-Mar-16 14:53:47

DD is in Y4 and the school recommends this:

www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

It is very much about instant recall, for a child who struggles to understand the meaning behind maths it is too much but for an older child it is great.

In Y1 we did a lot of BBC Bitesize and Squeebles for general practice. But the best is general counting, board games with dice or Yhatzee (we simplified it at first) are good, a orchard game called Bus Stop (hated by me, but worked for DD for a while) and a game called Spider Maths.

jellycake Mon 07-Mar-16 20:04:45

Ask the school if they have a subscription with RM Easimaths. If not parents can get it too www.rm.com/products/rm-easimaths/home It's what we use at my school and it's great! It goes over concepts until the children have mastered them alongside games.

Roonerspism Mon 07-Mar-16 21:54:38

sootica grin I just had to do the same thing tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now