Roald Dahl Going Solo

(9 Posts)
Apples11 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:54:26

My 6 year old (7 end of May) and I are half way through this book. My DH read this with her the other night and he told me he doesn't want her to continue with the book as he feels it is too graphic for a 6 year old (i.e. shot in the head, head being chopped off etc).

Has any parents read this book and what are your thoughts on this?Thanks.

redskytonight Fri 04-Mar-16 14:37:53

It wouldn't be my choice for a 6 year old (did you realize the subject matter before you started, or did you just think "oh it's Roald Dahl"?)

I would say that it (and Boy, the previous autobiographical book) would be more suited to 9/10 year olds or older (DH and I both enjoyed them as adults). As well as some of the more graphic bits, I think you need a certain level of maturity/awareness of context to properly "get" the book - not only the themes but the writer's sense of humour!

Stick to his children's fiction books for now ...

Ellle Fri 04-Mar-16 14:49:38

Is it the Revolting Rhymes book?
I think it depends on the child.

I tried reading that book when DS was in reception (4-5 years old), and remember feeling a bit like your husband. So I decided to wait a bit longer but by the time he was in Year 1 (6 years old) he was fine with it. He knows it's a joke, an exaggeration like cartoon violence.

NerrSnerr Fri 04-Mar-16 14:55:08

Elle the book is Going Solo. I read it when I was about 11. It's definitely a book for older children.

PatriciaHolm Fri 04-Mar-16 14:59:17

Both It and the previous autobiography aren't really suitable for that young I would say. DS enjoyed them at 9 and I would say that was about right- even then there are quite a lot of phrases/ terminology that I needed to explain (phrases and words not really in use any more)

MrsSteptoe Fri 04-Mar-16 15:12:08

Boy and Going Solo are both on the reading lists, IIRC, for Year 7 at some of the independent schools. They are definitely for slightly older readers. Put on a high shelf for now!

Apples11 Fri 04-Mar-16 15:25:44

thank you for your responses. We bought a bundle pack of the Roald Dahl books and are working our way through them. Started off with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and now about to start Matilda.

irvine101 Fri 04-Mar-16 15:52:04

We have a bundle pack as well, but we've only read ones my ds chosen. Which means, title like Going Solo will be the last one he choose.(He chose The Witches first.)
I agree with your DH, if one of you don't feel comfortable, choose something else. There's plenty of times to read it later, and plenty of other books to read.

Witchend Fri 04-Mar-16 17:57:18

Ds loved going solo at,around that age. However his chosen reading was WWII fact books or Spitfire manuals. He was bored by the Chocolate factory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now