Another SATS question (ks2)

(9 Posts)
Bitlost Tue 01-Mar-16 20:45:43

DH just back from parents' evening. DD really good at literacy - a clear level 3 if levels still existed. Her understanding of maths is good - DH went through her books and teacher said her understanding s good - BUT she's failing all the maths test papers. She gets 25 when the school set their pass rate at 33. It just seems too much for her. It doesn't seem to be stress-related, no exam fear was mentioned. She just gets lost among all the questions.

Anyone else in this situation? What can I do to help her?

teeththief Tue 01-Mar-16 21:14:56

Do you mean year 2?

Bitlost Tue 01-Mar-16 21:22:15

Oh sorry, yes, KS1, year 2. Sorry -- long day.

spudmasher Tue 01-Mar-16 21:24:16

It's teacher assessment still at KS1 so I wouldn't worry if the evidence of her understanding is in the books.

Bitlost Tue 01-Mar-16 21:54:36

Ok - thanks. That's what I thought but teacher made it sound like her not performing in the tests was a problem.

mrz Wed 02-Mar-16 06:23:33

New National Curriculum tests are being introduced this year and from the rumours (the government still haven't made things clear) tests and teacher assessment are meant to match.
There remains a lot of uncertainty about the tests for both key stages - the score to achieve the magic pass for example!

Paperm0ver Wed 02-Mar-16 17:43:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bitlost Wed 02-Mar-16 22:01:20

Thank you for your replies. The more I find out about all this, the more worried I get.

WhattodoSue Thu 03-Mar-16 09:13:22

My DD's school seem to be really low key about KS1 Sats with the children. They are doing work on them, but I don't think the children have any idea it is for anything special. They do little tests at different times, and it sounds like the school isn't sharing with the children that these might be different in anyway. We will get practice papers, but they gave them some in Y1 too, and so my DD has already said Oh, we have done those before. The result is a total lack of stress on the childrens part. OP if your DD isn't stressed then I wouldn't worry. As long as the school keep it low key, I'm sure she will be fine. She has loads of time to get better at the tests (and by that I mean they can be just another class activity and so she'll get more practiced at doing her maths in that environment).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now