Year 1 Maths Homework

(22 Posts)
Royaldada Tue 01-Mar-16 18:07:39

How would you explain the following to a middle to top Year 1

Find the missing number

9 + ? = 16

Is it me or is that something you would get in Year 3

fieldfare Tue 01-Mar-16 18:10:47

In year 1 they'd be doing that with a number line I'd have thought. So counting along from 9 to 16.
Older children would be decoding the sum and working out 16-9 = 7.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 01-Mar-16 18:11:44

Work backwards so to explain, write a new sum:

16 - 9= ? So answer is 7.

Quite tricky for year 1.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 01-Mar-16 18:13:03

Oh yes, forgot about using a number line. A ruler will do at home.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 01-Mar-16 18:19:48

You could use objects - start with 9, how many do you have to make 16. This might be easier if they are used to using something like a tens frame and you use two different coloured cubes or counters.
Draw it - again might be easier if they are used to representing numbers by drawing in a way that shows the place value of a number, using two colours.
You could use a number line and count the jumps from 9 to 16.
If they understand that subtraction is the inverse of addition and are used to writing 'fact families', then they can use that understanding and number bonds that they know to work it out.

SitsOnFence Tue 01-Mar-16 18:20:32

I would say (whilst pointing to the relevant bits of the number sentence): "there are 16 different My Little Ponies (etc!) to collect. You already have 9, lucky you! Can you work out how many you still need to complete your collection?" I would then bring out Lego bricks/actual my little ponies/stones to demonstrate it.

My DD is in year 1, btw, and we've had quite a few of these

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 01-Mar-16 18:21:05

Damn the lack of edit function.

That should be 'how many do you need to make 16?'

SitsOnFence Tue 01-Mar-16 18:21:42

(For her to work it out herself, I mean, I don't give her the answer!!)

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 01-Mar-16 18:23:20

Rafals you lost me at 'fact families' confused

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 01-Mar-16 18:30:44

Sorry. I meant to explain that.

'Fact families' are sets of related calculations. So if you know that 3+5=8, then you also know that 5+3=8, 8-5=3, 8-3=5. I'm not sure at what point, but I think year 1, I would expect children to be able to write the related facts if given one fact.

Although in this case, if you know 9+7=16 as a number bond, then you don't really need anything else.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 01-Mar-16 18:35:05

Thanks Rafal I suspect everyone will p.m. you with maths homework queries now you've outed yourself as an expert. grin

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 01-Mar-16 18:37:37

I'm definitely not an expert grin

Tuiles Tue 01-Mar-16 18:52:58

I just asked my Y1 (wrote it down for him), not thinking he would get it. In fact he said 7 almost straight away, then explained that 9 is only 1 away from 10 and that's how he knew. So there you go, they are obviously learning something!

irvine101 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:53:50

You can practice number bonds 10, 11, 12 ...20 on this game.

www.mathplayground.com/number_bonds_II.html

rosebudyblue Tue 01-Mar-16 19:20:31

Have you got an abacus?

It would be great for explaining this. You can use it in the same way you would use number lines.

Counting 16 beads takeaway 9 beads that should leave you with 7 beads.
Same concept as number lines.

Maybe use objects like fruits in a line. Draw 16 fruits, cross out 9 then count the remainder.

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Tue 01-Mar-16 19:35:26

I think this is fine for Y1, my YR can do this with her fingers so I'd think Y1 ok to do it in written form.

I would probably say "you have 9 apples. How many more do you need to get to 16?" initially to make it concrete; then say "yes! So 9+7 makes 16" to reinforce the concept a bit more afterwards.

FishWithABicycle Tue 01-Mar-16 19:49:34

"How many more than 9 do you have to count to get to 16?" - this shouldn't be hard for year 1. They need to do lots and lots of this sort of practice to really embed their understanding of numbers up to 20. If a child is finding this sort of question tricky they they may not have got the hang of what a number really is and have learned counting by rote rather than understanding so it's really good to find this out sooner rather than later. I tutored 15 year olds on track for getting no better than an E at maths GCSE who would have had a much better education if someone had spotted that they hadn't really understood number properly when they were 5.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 01-Mar-16 19:55:27

I remember my teacher telling us that numbers have no meaning unless attached to something else -

So teaching maths as just numbers is a bit pointless!!

Get some Lego or something

This is a hard consent for children as it's usually 1 + 2 = rather than 1 + ? = 3

cariadlet Tue 01-Mar-16 20:46:46

The new maths curriculum says that Year 1s should be able to solve missing number problems, so this is the kind of calculation that the children are expected to be able to work out.

Numberlines are very useful - find the first number and count how many steps to reach the total. Or concrete apparatus eg lego bricks - take the first number of bricks, how many more bricks do you need to add to make a tower with the number of bricks given as the total.

Here's a couple of useful websites if your dc is finding it tricky.

www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zrmtfg8

www.iboard.co.uk/iwb/Missing-Number-689

www.iboard.co.uk/iwb/Comparing-Sweets-718

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/maths/addition_and_subtraction/play/popup.shtml

ChemicalReaction Wed 02-Mar-16 00:35:48

Marking place for the links above.

anklebitersmum Wed 02-Mar-16 01:30:56

We'd draw a pie with 16 square pieces and have them colour in 9 and then count the ones that are left. It's essentially a number line of course but we've found that the pie example is easily transferred to the more difficult fractions and decimals later on too.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 02-Mar-16 09:49:31

If you didn't do it as a pie, but as a 'bar' shape, you end up with what is essentially the first stage of a Singapore bar model.

The 2nd stage would be to draw the bar, split it into two parts label 1 part as 9 and the whole bar as 16. If they are familiar with the part-part-whole concept and know that if you know the whole and 1 part you can find the other part by subtracting, it should allow them to come up with the calculation 16-9= to work out the answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now