Abolish the year 6 sats

(4 Posts)
Polly3138 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:39:46

hi i am new to posting so please be kind but having read all your threads relating to the sats i would love it if you would click on the link, i have set up an online petition to abolish the sats! my twins are in y6 and the pressure they are being put under is ridiculous, constant booster groups and at least an hours revision every night for the next 10 weeks. I may not be in time to save this years kids but if we can do something for the ones coming through then that would be great,thanks for your support

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121902/sponsors/K32i2e2ltyfHeafvrMIe

please pass it on to as many people as you can it would be great to make the government sit up and take notice of all the parents out there

SelfRaisingFlour Wed 17-Feb-16 21:31:32

My son is in year 6 and his school isn't behaving like this. He's still only getting about half an hour to an hour a week of homework. Maybe you should talk to your school about their approach.

admission Thu 18-Feb-16 20:56:50

I think you have to understand that this is about the school that your twins go to and whilst I would be foolish to say that cramming and extra work do not happen, the vast majority of schools manage to do it without the extremes that your school seems to be inflicting on the pupils.

My reaction is very clear, if they have had the majority of their pupils in the school for 7 years, why do they need to create this frantic effort in the last few months before the KS2 tests. If they had been on top of the work from reception onwards then they would not need to go to this extreme. My school does not do this, we start off with pupils who are mainly below average when they join the school and they end up getting very high KS2 results, showing significant levels of progress over the expected level. That is part of the reason why we are an outstanding school, not because we spend the last 6 months of the pupil's last year in the school trying to cram them, which will only mean that they forget most of it over the summer holiday.

Inkymess Thu 18-Feb-16 22:51:04

Our school is nothing like that either. They work hard for them but not excessive. We are a very high performing state school known for progression at all stages too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now