Class Names

(46 Posts)
Royaldada Thu 11-Feb-16 20:04:15

Are most of your DC's classes named after their year/teacher i.e 1R or are they named after something else.

RatOnnaStick Thu 11-Feb-16 20:05:43

Animals here.

louisejxxx Thu 11-Feb-16 20:07:51

Trees! One of which is Willow. This is also my 3yr old's name. She's going to have a massive complex when she's older grin

LettuceLaughton Thu 11-Feb-16 20:07:57

Ours are named and by year group and A, B or C (or indeed D for a bulge class). So, DC1 might be in 5B and DC2 in 2A.

Why?

angelcake20 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:08:22

Ours are year and teacher initial, though we have quite a few job shares and double-barrelled names so some are a bit long!

AuntieStella Thu 11-Feb-16 20:18:59

In one school it was year group number plus teachers initials; usually firstname surname, but surname surname for job share and the one double barrelled teacher used the two surname initials (because that's what everyone called him anyhow).

Other school it's year group number plus a letter, seemingly at random.

PettsWoodParadise Thu 11-Feb-16 20:21:15

In DD's Junior school classes are named after teacher's surname. When I was at secondary school class names were named after initials of colours for example 1B (when 1 was first year of senior school and not Y7) was Blue year one. Haven't a clue what the senior school DD will be going to is named after. I know they have 5 houses which have names of inspirational women with a bird surname but the class names are different from houses. Curiouser and curiouser.

EdithWeston Thu 11-Feb-16 20:21:25

Year plus teacher initials.

When was at school, it was year plus N, S, E, W (depending on classrooms, by compass) and at secondary year plus single letter, based on name of school.

Royaldada Thu 11-Feb-16 20:31:45

Reason I asked was out of curiosity really because my DDs class is 1R which is year/teacher's surname initial but I when I was in 4th year juniors (Yr 6 nowadays) I was in US3 which stood for Upper School 3

Vinorosso74 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:37:59

Colours at my DD'S school

RustyBear Thu 11-Feb-16 20:39:20

At my secondary school the classes corresponded to the houses, which were named after local famous people - Burleigh, Shaw and Howard. I was in Burleigh, which meant in my second year (this was before years were numbered straight through) I was in 2B. It was amazing how many people thought they were being so original to say 'or not to be' after asking which class we were in...

DS's houses/classes were named East West School and County, originally boys from the East and West of the town were in those houses, County was for boys from outside the town and School for boarders, though by the time DS went there they were randomly allocated, only School was still for the boarders.
DD's school had houses/classes named after traditional local trades, DD's was Weavers, but I've forgotten the rest.

Pedestriana Thu 11-Feb-16 20:48:56

Numbers at my DD's school.

BananaDaiquiri Thu 11-Feb-16 20:54:33

Something else. At our school it's rivers of the world. At our three other nearest local primaries they use colours, gemstones, trees.

neddle Thu 11-Feb-16 21:03:34

Animals at infant school, year and teacher's initial at juniors and year and letter of school name for secondary.

RiverTam Thu 11-Feb-16 21:04:31

Rivers at DD's primary.

Clutterbugsmum Thu 11-Feb-16 21:05:04

KS 1 are flowers and KS2 are trees.

Nursery are all 'acorns'

starry0ne Thu 11-Feb-16 21:09:58

Teachers name

Twistedheartache Thu 11-Feb-16 21:16:24

Ours are all different, reception 2 x explorers, y1 authors, another year artists etc. Don't know why though.

GreatBigHoo Thu 11-Feb-16 21:19:03

Cathedral cities

LordTrash Thu 11-Feb-16 21:22:43

Dd1 has a tutor group, which is the tutor's initials (7RKB) and a teaching group which is to do with colour (7YW - yellow).

At dd2's school, which is 3 class intake, every year group has an 'H', a 'T' and a 'P' class, as these are the initials of the school (dd2 is in 6T).

In my infant school, many moons ago, the classes were named after members of the royal family. I remember being in Class Charles.

TeenAndTween Fri 12-Feb-16 10:40:25

Trees

I never can remember them, and neither can most other parents. Luckily it's single form entry so most people just use y1 y5 or whatever.

RueDeWakening Fri 12-Feb-16 18:59:27

Infants is birds, Juniors is trees - and the letters in the tree name is the same as the year number IYSWIM. So 3 Ash, 4 Pine etc.

ShelaghTurner Fri 12-Feb-16 19:26:52

Changes every year. Last year it was Olympians. Year before it was inventors.

ParcelP Fri 12-Feb-16 19:35:24

All animals

Galena Fri 12-Feb-16 20:05:22

Only one class per year group, so we have Nursery, Reception, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5/6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now