any reviews of Norwich high school for girls?

(15 Posts)
susieb19 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:36:04

Hi all
Have heard mixed things about this school. Some say it's just for the academic kids and that the pressure is awful on the kids to achieve achieve achieve; whereas others says it's a fantastic school for all abilities. Any views/experience greatly appreciatedsmile

Taize1 Mon 15-Feb-16 12:48:21

I know the school inside out - I'm an old girl, parent and member of staff! My best advice is always to go and visit a school for yourself. You'll get a feel for it the moment you step through the door.
Taize

susieb19 Mon 15-Feb-16 22:31:29

Thanks so much for the post. You are undoubtedly right that a visit is the best option. It's exciting and terrifying in equal measure trying to make be the right choice of school for my girls.

lljkk Tue 16-Feb-16 20:33:40

Friend with not-very-academic DD had mixed reviews... the girl went to another school for 6th form.

throckenholt Wed 17-Feb-16 07:49:28

It is quite academic - their GCSE choice booklet stresses that you can go on to Oxbridge if you do this subject (for several subjects) and the main reason for doing any GCSE seemed to be so that you could go on a do A level in it.

A friend's DD goes there - she loves it - lots of clubs and trips abroad. She isn't brilliantly academic but seems to be coping ok with that side.

They do seem to like to suck the parents in as well - lots of events they are expected to attend.

As ever - visit and get a feel for it.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 17-Feb-16 11:51:12

I have nothing useful to add about the school now. But many happy memories of my days as an old girl, it was the making of me. I would reiterate the advice to go and visit, Taize is right, you get a feeling for a school almost straight aware. To our surprise, following school visits, our daughter ended up at a Montessori primary, rather than the prep school we had initially earmarked.

susieb19 Wed 17-Feb-16 13:42:34

Booglemacgroogle - if you don't mind me asking why do you think it was the making of you?

Thank you all again for your replies and views. The school has a fearsome reputation and whilst I want the very best for my girls I don't want them in a fiercely competitive and pressured environment- I want them to enjoy school too! I think I need to get myself down there and see if my preconceptions are right or whether I'm way off. I have another private school in mind too which isn't so academically driven. I'll visit a few I think.

BoogleMcGroogle Wed 17-Feb-16 14:22:04

Hi Susie. I came from a working class (but very supportive) home and a mediocre primary school. I was on the 'top table' with a group of smart, bolshy boys (not bullying, but 'typical' ten year old boys) which didn't do much for my confidence. I scraped through the entrance exam (having done just a little extra study) but the headmistress (as was) interviewed me and gave me a chance. I arrived not knowing a soul and I did struggle with the level of work at first. But Mrs Bidwell was right, as I left 7 years later with 3 A's at A-level and, more importantly my best friends (who are still my best friends), a love of singing (which I still do) and sharp feminist instincts. I didn't find the environment especially competitive when I was there (although I'm not a very competitive person so just might not have picked up on that, if it was there) and, while there was an expectation that you did your best, there were opportunities for a wide range of activities, not just academic ones.

If it's any comfort, we are having the same discussions at the moment about my daughter doing entrance exams for The Perse (Cambridge). It's a great school but highly academic and I just need to feel sure that that's the right thing for her (we will hold off until she's eleven as at the moment she's having a whale of a time enjoying Montessori equipment and mindfulness).

nelsonscolumn Wed 17-Feb-16 14:36:59

My DD went there from the age of 7 to 16 and absolutely loved the school. It is very academic but my DD thrived in that atmosphere. She also did lots of sport and other extra curricular activities. She is now 23 and still has close friends she made there. I would also add she is dyslexic but still left with a good set of GCSE s including 6 A* and went to get a First at university.

susieb19 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:10:50

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's great to hear about people's personal experiences. I have two independent options and one state. So guess I'm lucky to have that choice (or am I)?!!

throckenholt Thu 18-Feb-16 13:37:25

Which other ones are your options ?

FWIW - NHS has a relatively new head - so likely to change a bit over time I guess.

susieb19 Thu 18-Feb-16 15:51:39

Hi throken
Other options hethersett old hall and sacred heart..

susieb19 Thu 18-Feb-16 15:52:14

State option notredame

GiveHerEffervescence Thu 18-Feb-16 15:55:56

I went to NHS. It is very academic and you are pushed to achieve, but in a supportive way. I was v happy there, and am a very confident adult, as are all my friends who went there.

lljkk Thu 18-Feb-16 16:46:37

My friend felt that her DD was well supported at 7-8yo but not supported in being not very-academic at age 14+. They had to fight hard when insisting the girl sit foundation GCSE paper for math. School resisted hard, wanting regular paper which was mostly beyond the girl and terribly undermined her confidence. Also, not until yr10 did anyone realise the girl's best subjects were art & music. YMMV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now