Y1 homework - what do yours get?

(39 Posts)
pukkapine Sat 06-Feb-16 17:05:00

Can you tell me what your Y1 DC's are getting

Y1 h/w this weekend:
2 x online books (approx 30 min)
1 x online grammar game (15 min)
12 spellings including works like 'ferocious' and 'frustrated' - we've not made any progress with these yet, just lots of tears despite attempting
3 maths problems, very very wordy... required a LOT of help and explanation (30 min), lots of tears
Go around the house using 'mathematical language'

this is on top of a reading book a day (fine)

Does this seem like a lot to you? DT's are completed demotivated, can't attempt it by themselves, and it's eating up loads of family time. Eldest DC (now Y5) never had anything like this...

I've been left thinking are my DT's woefully behind? They can barely form letters legibly let alone do the spellings, and the maths is WAY beyond their ability. I'm now worried they are really behind.

ThomasRichard Sat 06-Feb-16 17:08:08

My DS is year 1 and isn't getting anything like that. He gets 3 pieces each week:

- a reading book that I log in his reading diary;
- a library book that I read to him; and
- a worksheet-type thing in his homework folder.

His spelling is very phonetic so while it's readable, it isn't correct by any stretch of the imagination. He loves maths though.

pukkapine Sat 06-Feb-16 17:15:34

thank you - that sounds far more age-appropriate

MajesticWhine Sat 06-Feb-16 17:17:06

Sounds like a lot to me. In a week DD gets 2 worksheets, 1 maths, 1 literacy, 10 spellings to learn and reading every night. DD usually does the worksheets on the day she gets them so the weekend is just reading and spelling.

louisejxxx Sat 06-Feb-16 17:28:43

Ds gets a reading book as frequently as he can get through it and put it in the box to be changed (usually about every other day) and 6 spellings given out on a monday to learn by friday with a "theme" e.g last week it was "oo" and "u-e". That's it.

louisejxxx Sat 06-Feb-16 17:29:36

Oh I forgot: with the spellings they have to write at least 3 sentences using the words in context.

Artandco Sat 06-Feb-16 17:33:45

Year 1 here

- reading every night -15mins
- maths or grammar double sided sheet every night -20mins
- 10 spellings a week
- 12 times tables a week
- a science or history project once a month

Artandco Sat 06-Feb-16 17:34:52

Oh yes and the spellings also have to have a sentence with each in

JasperDamerel Sat 06-Feb-16 17:37:22

My children's school doesn't give written homework until KS2. DS gets a reading book which is changed after he's read it 3 times, 10 spellings a week and he works on times tables at his own pace.

Buttercup27 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:42:52

We have to give a creative piece of homework each week, which the child can choose how to carry out e.g. could do some writing (as much or as little as the child wants) do a picture or make something. This mea 's parents can decide how much time is dedicated to it. They also get a reading book that's changed 3 times a week.

Cressandra Sat 06-Feb-16 17:48:02

My y2 couldn't manage that and it's more than my Y4 gets.

In Y1 we had reading as much as possible, spellings sheet to look at weekly (but all very similar, short words and not tested) and one maths sheet a fortnight.

Those spellings sound insanely hard and demoralising. In Y1 we've had more high frequency words - who, whole, where, that kind of thing.

Cressandra Sat 06-Feb-16 17:48:49

Oh yes the sentence writing would have been really hard in Y1.

pukkapine Sat 06-Feb-16 17:58:46

hmmm, sounds a right mix for everyone - thanks for replies.

I think this is too much and too hard and defeating the purpose. In a couple of months I've gone from having a couple of girls who loved homework, wanting to be like their big brother, to tears and tantrums and fecking hours... no fun and hugely demoralising

Seryph Sat 06-Feb-16 18:37:34

Nope. Refuse to do the vast majority of that.
Try the spellings, if they are too hard write on the spelling sheet (or whatever) which were attempted and to what degree they were achieved.
Do not over explain the maths, if the questions are that difficult write it on the work that you did 15 minutes and this was what was achieved, and again that the work seems beyond the level DC is working at.
Read the school reading book (there is no need for three books a night! I don't care if 2 of them are online.) and if DC are okay with it the grammar thing.
Nothing should take more than 10-15 minutes, if it does, call time on it and let the teacher know that it was too long.

Seryph Sat 06-Feb-16 18:45:13

I should say that the DC I look after go to a private school here in Scotland and at P1 (works more like a yr1 class than yrR) now do:
1 reading book a week
1 comprehension sheet a week with about four questions about the book (Floppy ran [.....] they pick the missing word from a list)
Oral revision of 1 story of number bonds a week
1 blending sheet a week.

At P3:

1 reading book a week
7 spellings spread out over three days (so three one day, then three, then four) which need to be written out 3 times and two sentences written containing some of the words and a connective/adjective/interesting punctuation
8-12 maths questions 4 times a week (normally 8 equations and a couple of word problems to be expressed as an equation and with the answer in a sentence)

And I frankly think the P3 is doing far far too much.

Ifyoubuildit Sat 06-Feb-16 18:45:41

We seem to get a similar amount OP and it's real challenge to get it done as DS is soooo resistant. I wonder if it's having a negative effect as he hates it so much. He is happy to do the reading though. I don't get the spellings, if you asked him now he couldn't spell the words he did last week despite getting 10/10 in the test. What's the point?

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Sat 06-Feb-16 19:16:12

Mine gets a book each night but no other homework.

They go to one of the top, super-selective schools in NW London / Herts (there are lots of threads about it's 4+ assessment) where the approach for the first couple of years is to foster natural curiosity and a love of learning. The school positively encourages downtime in the evenings and during school holidays.

It makes for happy, self-motivated girls who are well prepared for the hot housing that comes later.

Believeitornot Sun 07-Feb-16 17:48:07

We get homework once a week - be it science, maths or literacy etc.
Plus spellings to practice every day for a test on Friday
Plus two books to read a week (which we supplement by nightly reading)

irvine101 Sun 07-Feb-16 17:59:23

I don't think your DCs are behind at all. That's way too much. And if you need to spend 30 mins explaining what to do, it's not right level of HW for your DCs.

Vinorosso74 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:41:51

That sounds a lot for Y1. My DD gets 3 reading books a week; maths homework which is revising something they've done in class during the week; writing which is to practise writing 5 words and use each of those words in a sentence they've made up which needs to make sense.

Jesabel Sun 07-Feb-16 20:10:45

None really, just reading. School is rated good, has great results and DS loves it so I'm happy wth that.

Funandgamesandfun Sun 07-Feb-16 20:26:51

Reading every night. A maths sheet, this week was money and an English sheet, usually filling in the blanks. It's a prep school but the head doesn't believe in homework in KS1 which I believe in

Funandgamesandfun Sun 07-Feb-16 20:27:02

Meant I agree with

dietcokeandwine Sun 07-Feb-16 22:03:50

There will always be a real mix of answers on threads like these...

My Y1 DC gets formal homework once a week, usually a two page activity of some sort. This week it was sentences and spelling practice, last week a maths exercise, in previous weeks it's been science or history based.

We are supposed to do daily reading and writing practice and encourage them to do other stuff like online maths and literacy games during the week too, but nothing 'formal'.

Personally I think nightly formal homework in Y1 is too much but there will always be some schools - both state and private - who insist on it.

The kind of homework outlined by the op though seems excessively difficult, particularly the spellings which seem more Y3 level? My Y1 DS2 would probably just about cope with it but DS1 would not have coped at all. I suspect that a huge number of Y1 children would struggle tbh.

Sirzy Sun 07-Feb-16 22:06:10

Ds gets reading books changed whenever they are finished.

One sheet a week which has some phonics and words to practise and then a short maths activity - this week 5 division questions

Often the maths task is one which is Pretty open so you can do as much or as little as you want

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now