Schoolguru Herts BE AWARE very inaccurate

(9 Posts)
Bobbii2001 Tue 02-Feb-16 11:47:40

Hi I just wanted to post a message to tell people to beware of the schools guru herts website and not to rely on it. A group of my friends and I randomly tested the website putting in our addresses and details of the schools that our children currently attend under rule 6 (distance). They all said that we had a very poor chance of getting into the school and would not have got in, in the last 5 years!!!! Funny because we are all in to the schools we wanted from our addresses, we all got in in the last five years using rule 6. Shocking considering that people make decisions to move houses etc based on this website.

Feenie Tue 02-Feb-16 12:18:38

People really 'make decisions to move houses etc based on this website'??

Surely most 'people' are not that stupid?

bruffin Tue 02-Feb-16 12:21:20

Yep
It says its impossible to get into dc secondary from where i live and i know at least 15 children who come from our area or farther

Bobbii2001 Tue 02-Feb-16 12:22:27

Perhaps not stupid, but the website does have a section on moving house and people do move to get into schools so guess it would factor into their decision.

ReallyTired Wed 03-Feb-16 09:38:50

A lot depends on whether your child is born in a birth dip or a birth bulge. Ds was born in 2001 and had complete choice of schools in our town. Dd was born in 2009 and there are not enough places for primary school children.

Ds secondary is very over subscribed and it costs an additional 100k to buy a house in guaranteed catchment. I will be surprised if dd gets a place. Unfortunately my children are seven years apart in age so the sibling rule won't apply.

Dd's primary has a bad repruatation, but she is doing well. If your child wants to work then they will do well. Life is what your child makes of it.

ReallyTired Wed 03-Feb-16 09:42:52

Herts have changed their admission rules. They used to have a catchment system, but now school admission is done on distance. Historically it might have been impossible/ possible to get a place at a particular school. Rules change, housing estates get built etc.

clam Wed 03-Feb-16 21:31:15

Used to have a catchment system? Since when? It's always been distance, effectively; if not to your closest school, then that odd system no one could understand, whereby someone further away might leapfrog you in the "queue" if their journey to a second school was longer than yours.

bruffin Wed 03-Feb-16 21:33:45

Dc school om Herts has that system Clam. They never had a catchment system in the last 10 years

clam Wed 03-Feb-16 21:53:06

Well, it'd be a County-wide system - unless maybe Academies do their own thing nowadays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now