Ken Prep or Falkner House

(15 Posts)
Lolakath19 Fri 29-Jan-16 12:32:41

Hi all, just wondering what you think of both, I know they are both excellent academic school but there is such a big difference one is very small, family run. THe other one is pretty big with huge play ground.

MMmomKK Fri 29-Jan-16 19:46:17

If you have offers for both schools - go with your gut feel. Your DD will spend 7 years there, so you need to be happy with the place. How do you feel about the HMs - they are very different.
Also - would think about the commute. Proximity is a bonus, and facilitates friendships, as well as just making life more enjoyable for all involved.
As you said - both schools are excellent, so can't go wrong.

titto0805 Sat 30-Jan-16 14:46:29

Although Kensington Prep has moved up academically recently, their exit results last year were excellent, much, much better than Flakner House results, I would still go for Falkner House. The school has different, very unique, specific atmosphere, which captures you from the moment you enter it.

Biw Sat 30-Jan-16 16:08:24

I would choose Falkner House. It is leagues above Ken Prep. Granted, KP's results in the past year or two were excellent but its success is relatively recent compared to Falkner which is so much more established with a very long track record. I believe KP's results is due to increasing number demanding/ high achieving parents priced out of Kensington & Chelsea who have moved to Fulham. Not an awful lot of choice in SW6 for elite prep schools other than KP so KP gets to hand pick the top girls in the area. Of course you'll get a few families from RBKC travelling to KP but only if they didn't get in at Falkner or Glendower. I think on balance you will get more "value add" from Falkner.

sanam2010 Sat 30-Jan-16 17:25:17

Blw's message is a good example of why you should not listen to strangers on mumsnet, such an ill informed post. Not hard to tell that blew is a Glendower parent, lol!

Just look at the inspection reports (both excellent), exit results (both excellent - and counter to what people say for a long time, not just in recent years, even at FH, there was one particularly fierce year (2011 I think) where only 1 girl out of 20 got into SPGS), then I assume you have visited the schools and seen for yourself. They are very different. One is not "better" than the other. It depends on your style and also on your daughter's personality.

Biw Sat 30-Jan-16 17:46:38

Sanam2010 - touchy! OP is canvassing different opinions and of course there will be variations in what people think. She can reflect on them all and take a view. Obviously you are a Ken Prep parent. Are you so immature and arrogant that you cannot deal with other viewpoints that may not mirror your own?

sanam2010 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:00:14

blw - I am talking about facts, not opinions:

KP results only good in recent years: wrong
KP kids are all Glendower / Falkner rejects: wrong
FH leagues above KP - wrong (any facts to back up your claim?)
Kp results only improved once higher achieving parents from Chelsea / South Ken started moving to Fulham - about the snobbiest thing I've ever heard

So please don't call me arrogant, I didn't say anything arrogant, just pointing out that pretty much everything you claim in your post is wrong.

I am hoping OP makes a decision on facts, not on hearsay and "what other parents think".

Biw Sat 30-Jan-16 18:06:49

Sorry Sanam2010 I have neither the time or inclination to pursue this. Bye!

Lolakath19 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:10:31

Thanks all for your answer. DD is also accepted at glendower prep. But my feeling was that it was a bit behind the two. I like both schools indeed very different, afraid FH will not prepare girls to the real world as they are in a cocoon, FH against the rest of the world and may be difficult when come secondary school to face reality: it will be each girl for herself. Afraid of KP that she will be lost in the middle of this big school!

innocuoussocks Sat 30-Jan-16 18:25:09

Falkner has just announced it is opening a boys pre-prep in sept 2017 which may or may not affect your decision if you have a younger DS.

Biw Sat 30-Jan-16 18:31:11

Lolakath19 congratulations, you're in a lovely position as all 3 are good schools. I have no reason to stand up for Falkner House as my girl is at Glendower but honestly, very few parents will turn down a Falkner place for KP unless the logistics/ school run makes it difficult. Falkner's big advantage is the cosy, nurturing environment. At the age of 4 most parents really value that and of course being so small the Head knows each child very well, plans and develops for them individually. And of course Glendower should be a strong contender too - be aware they have a very committed sibling policy so there are girls with mixed abilities at the school and yet it delivers great results. Compare that with Falkner who select only the very able girls they want, often rejecting siblings and girls from their own nursery! You can see that Glendower overall probably adds more value to their girls.

It's tempting to be seduced by data and leaving destinations but your child is an individual not a statistic. Ask yourself which school she would feel most happy, nurtured and comfortable at. Good luck!

Lolakath19 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:59:52

Thanks for your comment. I have heard some comments on FH which I did not liked: ie headmistress giving some priviledges to girls from really rich family ( not for the assessment but after). I consider me as wealthy but we will be middle class even lower class in an environment such as FH and I do not want my daughter to suffer from that.

milkshake123 Sat 30-Jan-16 21:47:05

Don't over think this! I'm out the other side. Go with your gut and what is convenient - that really matters!! Forget the "I'll feel lower class" - what does that even mean? Both good schools. If you could only have one offer which one would you prefer. Go for it!

Daffodil99 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:02:48

The feel of Falkner House is very smug indeed but the atmosphere is fragile - perhaps because it is transitioning the generations. Mrs Griggs' daughter interrupts her a great deal even in public.

Daffodil99 Tue 23-Aug-16 22:59:06

The 2016 results of all the schools are interesting and reflect some changes all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now