Racism

(19 Posts)
Sez84 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:09:34

My son aged 10 has been accused of racism as he said, hurry hurry chicken curry. The school have said they will report this to the local authority. Any advice what I can do?

originalmavis Mon 18-Jan-16 16:11:05

Are you serious?

FrozenPonds Mon 18-Jan-16 16:12:55

Did he say it en route to the dining hall where said curry was being served? Or in a mocking tone to abuse child or teacher?

I'd probably just write it off as a box ticking exercise if the former, or give him a talking to if the latter.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 18-Jan-16 16:13:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sez84 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:15:28

He said it to a Korean friend who said hurry hurry, he just repeated it back with a rhyme on the end. Probably from me as I always cook curry in a hurry so that's where he heard it.

Sez84 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:16:10

And to add there was no mocking/accent.

HumptyDumptyHadaHardTime Mon 18-Jan-16 16:22:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

irvine101 Mon 18-Jan-16 17:33:51

Korean and curry, doesn't make sense, why are they saying racism?

originalmavis Mon 18-Jan-16 17:42:29

There's a bench near us with the words carved into it 'winner, winner chicken dinner'

Sez84 Mon 18-Jan-16 17:51:00

It's insane!

originalmavis Mon 18-Jan-16 18:03:50

There used to be a food stall in our little cal mall called 'curry in a hurry'. God it was lovely.

admission Mon 18-Jan-16 18:36:00

This is the school getting carried away. I would go back to school and say that you do not accept that under any context this can be seen as a racist comment. (I am assuming that what is quoted above is the grand total of the issue).
I would also say that you require to see copies of all correspondence that the school has with anybody else over what was just a silly remark.
Then see what happens.

WombatStewForTea Mon 18-Jan-16 19:40:03

Well if the school believes it to be racist then they have a duty to make a formal record to the LA (I think this is anonymous though)

As for whether it's racist or not is a different matter! Did his friend report it or was he overheard?

Sez84 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:51:16

He was overheard and is friend didn't see any offence either. If he said it to a white child there wouldn't have been an issue. This makes me angry as my child will now be worried about offending children of another race. I don't want him growing up scared to talk to anybody that's not white in case he's accused of being a racist.

truthwithin Tue 26-Jan-16 01:03:44

I have also had something similar. Chicken curry could relate to about 90% of the world.

My experience was from 'the other side'. I defended a child who was called racist because he argued with my child, (both were around 8 yrs old), over who would be 'black sonic', a cartoon character.

My son and his best friend were separated for over a week, I had to explain the script of a cartoon, and their friendship was never the same.

It was so pathetic to bring me in from work, I initially laughed when they told me, but this was the height of PC.

I will never forget taking my toddler to playgroup and being asked if it was OK to sing 'baa baa black sheep', I never went back again as I was so embarrassed.

I almost wish I'd said no, just to see the reaction.

Anyway, OP, I would speak to the other childs parents. No offence, none taken. If they could speak to the school stating that it would be beneficial.

I know I had to fight really hard to insist Ds friend wasn't being racist and they didn't log it. It turned into a massive thing, where a mixed race mother, with a mixed race child said no racism, but a caucasian teacher insisted it was against a 'black' child. I swear they must get paid extra because I fumed that my son was mixed race, not black and that I'd disputed it.

Eventually it was dropped.

Notgivingin789 Tue 26-Jan-16 23:24:11

truth Historically, the rhyme "Baba Black sheep" is racist.

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Wed 27-Jan-16 11:28:31

I had a very odd experience of this a few years ago.

3 Kids jumping on the bed singing " three little monkeys jumping on the bed, one fell off and banged his head. Mother called the doctor and the doctor said, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed".

Informed by visiting friend that this was racist as " it could be misinterpreted". Still confused.

entersandmum Sun 31-Jan-16 20:13:13

notgiving I've not heard that except for the word black. Do you have information as why?

entersandmum Sun 31-Jan-16 20:15:02

sez84 did anything come of your dispute?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now