Books for 6 year old girl with high reading age.

(63 Posts)
Galena Sun 10-Jan-16 19:23:03

DD started reading at 2. By the time she went to school she was reading fluently, but had little stamina for longer books - no problem with that, she was 4!

She has developed well, and by the age of 6 enjoys a range of books - Dahl, Dinosaur Cove, Dinoball series, some of the David Walliams books, Secret Seven, etc. However, I struggle to find books now that she wants to read and that have 'suitable' themes in them.

She is quite a young six year old in maturity/streetwise-ness. Would happily watch CBeebies and Peppa Pig and doesn't like princessy things or films. I don't like Diary of a Wimpy Kid for her yet - I feel it's got subjects in it I'm not totally happy with her experiencing just yet. So I'm struggling to find things she can read without themes which are unsuitable.

She loved 'Little Animal Ark' books, so she's brought a couple of Animal Ark books home from school and hated them. I've just discovered Fizzlebert Stump so is reading them, but what else?!

I do take her to the library and she chooses books from there, but we're even running out of ideas there, too.

onemouseplace Sun 10-Jan-16 19:43:52

My 6-year old DD is loving:

Milly Molly Mandy
The Worst Witch
Gobbolino the Witch's Cat
Ottoline

esiotrot2015 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:45:08

Flat Stanley
rainbow fairies by daisy meadows
Holly Webb is great for animal stories

Bertiebutterfly Sun 10-Jan-16 19:54:30

My DD (7) is also a good reader but still quite young for her age. She loves the 'Claude' books by Alex T Smith they are quite funny for children and adults.

HelenaJustina Sun 10-Jan-16 19:59:30

Try Noel Stretfeild, themes aren't too adult, language is nice and broad and the stories are well crafted.

My DD8 reads them to herself, along with Anne of Green Gables (lang much more difficult/archaic) The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Swallows and Amazons. She really dislikes peril and although could read Harry Potter etc is too scared to. I have found the classics 'safer' for her.

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Jan-16 20:01:36

At that age dd liked Dick King Smith, Michael Morpurgo, Jeremy Strong. Also many classics. Narnia, Wind In The Willows, Alice In Wonderland, Stig Of The Dump and on and on.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 10-Jan-16 20:02:26

Paddington, Wombles, ds has just got into the Jennings books too. Lots of the classic children's books are fairly challenging for language but the themes are mild.

Galena Sun 10-Jan-16 20:03:29

That's it, exactly, Helena ! She even got scared in the Minions movie!

Of the suggestions, I've got her and she won't read: Milly Molly Mandy, The Worst Witch and Ottoline.

She's got rid of her Rainbow Fairies books because she'd read them once and didn't want them any more.

Will try Flat Stanley and Claude. Will also try Noel Streatfield, although I have a feeling she will rebel when she sees the size of the print grin

BrieAndChilli Sun 10-Jan-16 20:04:36

DD age 7 is reading
Rainbow fairies
Narnia books
Faraway tree books
She also likes the my little pony novels.
She has also read a bit of the borrowers.

HermioneWeasley Sun 10-Jan-16 20:12:19

Little house on the prairie / Laura ingalls wilder books?

minilegofigure Sun 10-Jan-16 20:15:20

The owl who was afraid of the dark by Jill Tomlinson. There are others in the series about a cat, a penguin and an otter. Flat Stanley's are good too. There are chapter books in the Winnie the witch series. I loved the happy families series when I was little with titles like Mr Tick the teacher. Very sweet stores .you can still buy them on amazon .

LIZS Sun 10-Jan-16 20:30:10

Teddy Robinson, My Naughty Little Sister. Magic Treehouse series

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 10-Jan-16 20:45:18

Daisy Meadows has done a set of animal stories?

Has she read all the Rainbow Fairies? There's about 175 of them!

Dahl too scary?

Flat Stanley? Olga da Polga?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 10-Jan-16 20:46:07

Oh sorry. Saw she reads some Dahl.

Bounced Sun 10-Jan-16 20:47:55

Classics are the way to go - E Nesbit, Noel Streatfield but not Ballet Shoes (first chapter has six parents dying, put dd1 right off), Laura Ingalls Wilder, Arthur Ransome, Enid Blyton.

She also likes Jeremy Strong and a few other modern books, such as the How To Train Your Dragon series.

She's now 7, and is getting braver, which helps a lot!

VashtaNerada Sun 10-Jan-16 20:51:32

The Ramona series by Beverley Cleary is good for that age (in one book there's a slight hint about truth behind the tooth fairy although it completely passed DD by!). We haven't read them yet but there's the Sophie books too. I'm just about to start DD on Judy Blume's Fudge books which from memory are fine for younger ones (I might skim-read them first!) and some Jaqueline Wilson's are age-appropriate too (but obviously check first, some are not!!)

irvine101 Sun 10-Jan-16 20:56:45

Ds enjoyed Jeremy Strong, Hundred-mile- an- HourDog series, and Sally Gardener, The Invisible Boy at that age.

Ambroxide Sun 10-Jan-16 21:02:25

YY to the classics - challenging language and very little peril compared to modern books. E Nesbit and Enid Blyton were brilliant for DD at a similar stage. The Carbonel books are great fun. Also Diana Wynne Jones. Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf. Enid Blyton (Magic Faraway Tree etc were a big hit here but the Secret Seven books are also great for that age). The Green Smoke books by Rosemary Manning are lovely.

Eastpoint Sun 10-Jan-16 21:05:45

Dd really enjoyed the Little House on the Prairie series. There are lots so make sure she reads them in the right order.

PandasRock Sun 10-Jan-16 21:06:11

The Laura's Star series are good.

Also, The Magic Toyshop.

Dd2 is similar (although a bit older) - scared of Minions too! grin

Umm, will have a ponder. I tend to buy her job lot sets from the Book people, and they can be hit and miss.

She read and enjoyed the Battersea Dogs home series, and also a WWF set.

Zoe's rescue Zoo also very good. And The Rescue Princesses (but might be too girly?). She's has also enjoyed the Spell Sisters series.

Oh, and Magic Ballerina. And Princess MirrorBelle.

PandasRock Sun 10-Jan-16 21:08:59

Oh, and I Second the Magic Treehouse series.

And a series (well a few anyway) about Lulu - will try to find and link.

PandasRock Sun 10-Jan-16 21:12:50

What about the Moomins?

THe Lulu books are by Hilary McKay.

Arable and Mortimer?

Michaelahpurple Sun 10-Jan-16 21:22:08

Olga da polga series by Michael bond - charming Guinea pig books

PettsWoodParadise Sun 10-Jan-16 22:02:19

When DD was 6 (reading age 11) she was reading some of the simpler Michael Morpurgo books and abridged versions of classics via Usborne Young Readers. I think the reading age thing is awkward as they don't have the emotional maturity to understand more complex stories and their ability is mostly around vocabulary and fluency but not fluency of emotion or plot so you can't get too far ahead otherwise they get lost in plots and stories that just compute for their emotional level.

Ambroxide Sun 10-Jan-16 22:35:09

Oooh yes, the Moomins are wonderful. DD still loves all of the books at 9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now